IO: SATA and IDE DVD Burners

Thread: IO: SATA and IDE DVD Burners

IO: SATA and IDE DVD Burners

I have an ISO image file sitting on a SSD. I have two DVD burners. All (DVD burners and SSD) are SATA connections.

If I burn the ISO using one DVD burner at a time, it takes 5 minutes each.

If I burn the ISO using both DVD burners at the same time, it takes 10 minutes.

I could understand it would take 10 minutes (using both burners) if the setup was on IDE. I thought the advantage of SATA is that the IO is separate. Why would it take twice as long when it is on a SATA setup?

I am using PowerISO to burn and have even tried Nero. Would I need a program that do simultaneous burn and perhaps that would achieve the goal of 5 minutes with both DVD burners?

Operating System is Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

SATA is one device per channel, so you are right in that they don't compete like with 2 devices on the same IDE cable.

However, you are still reading from a single source. It sounds like the app could be doing a read for each burner, not one read for both of them. It is also adding more CPU and I/O overhead. If both burners were on the same IDE cable, it would probably take even longer.

Are both burners the same model? If not, they would burn at the max rate of the slowest drive.

Hello Midknyte,

Thanks for shedding some light.

Nothing is on IDE and everything is on SATA. Both burners are the same brand but different models.

However, I agree with you that it is reading from the same source and probably reading it twice instead of one time.

So the answer to this is probably get a software that can handle multiple burners? When I was on Window XP, Prassi made a really good software for multiple burners, better than NERO in the sense that NERO cache everything rather "burn on the fly".

Do you recommend anything for this situation Midknyte? Thanks

I believe that SwiftDisc still uses Prassi engine.
    http://www.swiftdisc.com/download-try
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Sorry, I've never really had to burn mass quantities of DVDs. I'm not sure how much time you could shave. Just like with multiple CPUs, you lose performance due to overhead.

Thread Information