My sound keeps turning off.

Thread: My sound keeps turning off.

My sound keeps turning off.

Whenever I play games (ex. Warcraft III, Rise of Nations, Diablo II), my sound keeps shutting down at random times. When I want my sound to return back to normal, I have to restart the computer. I just bought a new PC a few days ago, and this started happening. On my very old PC, this problem never happened.

Does anyone here know what the problem is?

I went to dixdiag and checked the sound part, it says the name is Realtek AC97 Audio.

Hi Nooble, welcome to Virtual Dr

See if you can find an updated sound driver from the manufacturers or motherboard makers website.
    Nick.

How do I do that? Do I just search at google?

Search at the computer makers website, or you can find out which motherboard/soundcard you have withy this nice utility:

Everest

Then you can go to the motherboard makers or soundcard makers site (depending on whether you have onboard sound or not). Or post the information here and we'll see if we can find the latest driver.
    Nick.

I hate to say this noobie but that realtek ac97 onbaord sound sucks for games. My motherboard came with a realtek ac97 onboard chip also. Many companys use that chip because it's cheap. I bet if you listen to music it fine. The problem is gaming. That chip is only good enough for music and movie sound. Many games these days use hardware accelerated sound and a cheap chip like realtek ac97 will cut out. I know first hand because i had the exact same problem.

I read about it for days but the only solution is to by a sound card. I got an audigy2 from best buy for 60$. Came home and put in the card. Never had a sound related problem since. Also, you will hear sounds in games that wearnt there before and you will get better performance because the cpu no linger has to process sound. You might get a cheaper one than i did but if you have 60$, the audigy2 is great.

Thanks SuperSparks! I updated my sound driver and nothing wrong happens now.

And thanks for the tip dgault.

Darn, you mean i could have updated a driver to fix it. I read forums for 3 days and nobody even mentioned (or knew) that chip had a driver of its own. Well anyway, glad to see you got things right without spending $. Wish i found this site sooner, then again the audigy2 is sweet.

You're very welcome, I'm glad it's sorted out

Never mind dgault, as you say, the Audigy2 is indeed sweet, I certainly love mine.
    Nick.

NOW, I am running on Windows 7 with a Realtek AC'97 Sound driver for onboard sound for an Emachine Series T2958 and it continuously cuts out when I use my Spotify for music or anything. NOW, I also have a Sound card I have been trying to use for sometime but, there is no driver for the Windows 7. Only for XP. And it is a Sound Blaster Live! card. Any ideas?

Looks like that is about a 9 year old computer, and now you will need to update to a newer PCI card.

EXAMPLES:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eId=1&name=PCI

or go USB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eId=1&name=USB

All manufacturers quit making drivers at some point so they can sell new hardware.

Also, since that is an eMachine, you should really open it up and check the label on the power supply. If it says Bestec, it should be replaced ASAP. Bestec power supplies are notorious for failing and taking out motherboards.

Thread Information