CPU fan stops and starts

Thread: CPU fan stops and starts

CPU fan stops and starts

I've got a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor. The heatsink fan stops and starts during bootup.

At first I didn't notice the pattern so I got a replacement fan from my supplier because I thought the fan was failing.

The pattern is that the fan starts when I power up the machine. During the BIOS screen the fan shuts down. Finally, just after the the "Windows XP Startup.wav" plays the fan restarts and stays running for the entire time I've got the machine on.

I don't know but perhaps the fan has always done this and I'm just now noticing.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

This setup is about a month to a month and a half old.

TIA

Have you looked in bios or the mobo manual to see if there's a setting for cpu fan heat control?
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

Thanks Ridge, I looked in the BIOS and found a thing called "CPU Smart Fan Control" and I disabled it.

That stopped the fan from shutting down during boot. Apparently the feature is to control fan speed depending on CPU usage.

I Googled "CPU Smart Fan Control" and found someone who's fan was shutting down and not restarting. When he disabled the feature it solved his problem.

Your welcome. My Award bios doesn't have that feature,but remembered the problem from another forum...
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

Woow....that's an interesting feature I haven't gotten across before. One would think that that could cause some problems.
    I thought, when I read it, there's a power supply issue.
    Guess one never stops learning.
    ASUS K55N with W8.1 (64bit) and plenty of other legacy systems :-)

That is an interesting feature indeed. One would think (or hope) that the mobo is monitoring the temperature and knows when it is ok to turn the fan off. Whats the point of that feature? Why would you want it to turn off completely?

Originally posted by usil
    Whats the point of that feature?
    My thoughts exactly. Frankly IMHO it is a pretty silly feature and probably added just as a bogus selling point for the mobo.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

I don't think that shutting the fan off was intended by whoever wrote the program.

Unfortunately it's what's occasionally happening.

Yeah, similar experience here with Asus' Q-fan control..... had it shut down the CPU completely and not coming back on.

Don't know, don't care what the story is behind it.... kill the function, always!
    Windows 10 on: ~Asus P5B-E ~Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz ~G. Skill (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 ~EVGA 7900GTX ~Kingston SSD (for the OS) ~Western Digital 650GB Hard Drive (Data), Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/Klipsh 2.1 Pro Media Speakers ~ Twin BenQ FP202W 20.1" LCD's

CPU Fan Speed Control

The whole point of the fan speed control is for smart control on power usage. The newer CPUs have this built in to the processor, enabling the fan to function ONLY when the CPU is in full swing useage and a temperature threshold has been met, and to save on power useage overall. It is for power users like myself who like to have a machine as quiet as possible when it is not in use...standby and snooze modes for example. The same tech is employed in many laptops. All the fans on my machine are bridged through temperature sensors to monitor the mainboard chipset, cpu, power supply, hard drive and case temperatures. During gaming and other system intensive tasks, the whole set of fans are goin at one point or other...

The CPU fan however is more directly involved in power saving, laptops for one example. If the CPU is at idle, it will not produce much heat at all...the fan is turned off until either the temperature reaches a threshold or the processor itself triggers during load.

This is not a must disable, in fact I don't recommend it if you own a laptop with the feature. AMDs are now in line with Intels for having thermal protection built in and the heat sinks are usually more than enough for cooling, the fan simply meant to remove the built up heat.

My CPU fan rarely comes on because the majority of the time my case fans have removed much of the ambient heat from inside the case, which in turn is causing airflow across the heatsink, cooling it enough the majority of the time. Of course, I removed the stock fan in favour of a thermaltake http://www.thermaltake.com/product/cooler/combo/cl-p0024/cl-p0024.asp which can easily operate without a fan, but I installed it anyway (it comes unattached in the box) and it functions flawlessly.

Please note this thread is almos 2 years old.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Thread Information