Reset Printer Message

Thread: Reset Printer Message

Reset Printer Message

Hi there,

One day last summer, I was lucky enough to find an HP 4050 printer outside an office. It had obviously been dumped. Took it home, cleaned it up, bought a new printer cable and hey, presto; a great printer.

Am now getting a message that reads, 'Printer Maintainance Required.' Apparently this happens after 20,000 pages.

Have already replaced all the rollers but the fuser is probably too expensive. However, the printer is working fine and I am loath to discard it.

Does anyone know how to reset this message? I have searched Google but can't find anything. (yet)

Many thanks in advance, and compliments of the season.

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

From HP:
    After installing the printer maintenance kit, reset the maintenance page count by pressing ITEM- and VALUE- while turning the printer on.
    Don't know if it'll work or not, worth a try.

Triple7's

Many thanks. Have just done that and it seems to have worked.

Don't know where you found the bit of advice because I could not find it in the HP4050 pdf file that I have. Perhaps I was lookin gin the wrong place!

Have a Cool Yule.

Rex

Hey Rex.
    I found that in the FAQ's at HP's support site.
    I would have just left the link but the url was five miles long. Sometimes long url's won't stick in this forum, so I just pasted it.
    Anyway, glad it worked. Time will tell if it's good for another 200,000 pages.

Don't think I will live long enough to run through 20,000 pages! For a home printer, that is a lot of printing.

Soon after finding this printer, the paper started slipping and jamming. Guess that was why it was on the street. www.printerworks.com supplied me with a new roller kit and that fixed the problem.

But at USD170 for a fuser, plus UK tax and import duty, although I don't want to discard the 4050, it is more economical to purchase a new one. Plus, a new printer can be claimed against tax; the IR does not recognise found hardware!

However, the printer is working beautifully so reckon it has a good many thousands of pages of life left.

Rex

Thread Information