Memory; two 256 sticks or one 512?

Thread: Memory; two 256 sticks or one 512?

Memory; two 256 sticks or one 512?

Using a nForce2 MB with 3 slots, am I better off with 2 256MB sticks or one 512MB stick? Price is close, the arguments for one are; half the number of contacts to have a problem with, BUT don't you need a 'pair' to get the dual memory function?
    If you do need the pair, what then about the 3rd slot? If you use it does it mess up the pair you already have?

Hope that made sense. I'm running 2k BTW.

I would go with the single stick of 512....thats what I use in all of my machines.....reason being.....when I want to upgrade later....still have 2 empty slots left...
    I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.Leonardo da Vinci

Tesla's Fansite

With DDR SDRAM, you don't need a pair. (I'm assuming your board has 184 pin DDR slots). I'd get the 512 stick because when/if you want to upgrade, you may find a board you really like for cheap but has only 2 memory slots and you'll be able to get another 512 stick to make 1 gig.

I always use two sticks.
    Incase one should fail you can still use your machine with half the memory.
    Number of people I know that had to wait 2 weeks or more to have their memory replaced under warranty and who had no working pc during that time makes the redundancy factor worth while.

Originally posted by Zedy
    I always use two sticks.
    Incase one should fail you can still use your machine with half the memory.
    Number of people I know that had to wait 2 weeks or more to have their memory replaced under warranty and who had no working pc during that time makes the redundancy factor worth while.
    I do the same thing for the same reason. Half will at least keep the addiction fed.

Re: Memory; two 256 sticks or one 512?

Originally posted by videobruce
    BUT don't you need a 'pair' to get the dual memory function?
    Yes, you do need a pair, if you meant Dual Channel Memory (not to be confuse w/ Double Data Rate (DDR)).

Double Channel Memory is a function of the motherboard which require at least 2 sepaerate modules to work. Not necessary a "pair" as in "matched pair". Just any 2 modules will do although it is highly recommended that you do use 2 matched modules.

DDR is a function of the RAM module itself which do not require a pair of them to be funtional.
    Originally posted by videobruce
    If you do need the pair, what then about the 3rd slot? If you use it does it mess up the pair you already have?
    No, it wouldn't.

Look at the manual. It will tell you which 2 slots to put the 2 modules to get Dual Channel functionality. Usually it is either the 1-3 or 2-3 configuration.

And for most mobo's of this kind you'll still get the Dual Channel memory function using all 3 slots: 2 of the same capacity modules in 2 of the "matched" slots and one module of the combined capacity of the other 2 in the third slot. Usually it is the 1- 2&3 configuration. See your manual for detail.
    Last edited by falcon2000; December 11th, 2004 at 06:47 PM.

Thread Information