set printer to black/white only?

Thread: set printer to black/white only?

Hybrid View

set printer to black/white only?

hello everyone,

is there a way to set my printer to only use the black ink?
    every once and a while i see something on the web that id like to print but it would use all my color ink. i just want the information (nothing fancy) i am able to use Fast Draft to save ink but i see no settings on the printer for only black ink (greyscale?)
    HP deskjet 3425 a 50$ printer,

thanks john winXP

Printer Properties->General Tab->Print Preferences->Paper/Quailty tab
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

hello steve,

when i go to printer properties all i can pick from is reguler or "fast draft" whick puts out less ink i suppose however since i mainly print text its still readable. this is the only printer ive ever had and its a cheap one at that, seems i remember a friend had one that he could select something called "greyscale" which allowed black and white, maybe theres a third party application which allows "black only". i know little about printers however have been reading as of late and it seems there are many ,many
    protocols and procedures , that are either built into windows and or the driver which lead me to think with the wide variety of printers out there that software that that would work with this variety of printers is none existent. am i correct?

i could phyisicaly remove the color ink as i only find non black and white pages i want to print 2-3 times a month.primitive solution?

thanks john

jwisneski--If you have gotten to the Printer Preferences|Paper/Quality tab, you should also see other tabs in the same window. One is Color. click on that tab and you chose "GreyScale" as you assumed.
    (Names for buttons could be somewhat different for different models (like Preferences instead of Printer Preferences), and some models may have more tabs, but I am sure you will find a Color tab somewhere.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

i have 3 diffrent printer all have that option under printer preferences then paper quality
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It

listen with your eyes---its the only way to believe what you hear...

Seems that this printer does not have that option in the software. To print black only you need to take out the colour cartridge. Here is a quote from the manual:
    printing in grayscale:
    For grayscale printing, your HP Deskjet 3300/3400 series printer must have a black print cartridge installed. If a tri-color print cartridge is installed, remove it so that only the black print cartridge remains in the print cartridge cradle.
    Other users have also complained anout the same "feature":

http://forums.keeptouch.net/archive/...hp/t-1915.html
    Last edited by falcon2000; December 11th, 2004 at 04:59 PM.

Thread Information