installing USB PCI card on a AMD motherbord

Thread: installing USB PCI card on a AMD motherbord

installing USB PCI card on a AMD motherbord

Hi
    I'm having problems installing a USB PCI card on my girlfriends computer. It runs with an AMD 350mHz processor under Windows 98 first edition.
    I plug in the card and win finds it and the installation process begins. But just when I'm about done the computer freezes and I can't do a thing. I disable the unit and then everything works fine again.
    What the heck do I do?

Hi Bigmac,

If you have an additional PCI slot in the MoBo, you may want to try that slot. However, it may be an IRQ conflict. After the machine freezes like you describe, does it reboot if you turn it off?

Happy computing!

Limerick

heluuu
    It doesn't seem to be any conflicts. I've tried to chance slot but it didn't help. Yes it reeboots but it doesnt run unless i inactivate the card.

Most likely a conflict. Are you positive that there isn't usb on the motherboard. Should have been for a processor that supports that speed.

Sometimes MB distributors would make companies pay extra for the usb cable connector. So make sure that if there is onboard USB without the connector that you have it turned off in BIOS.

Troy

I think you where right about the onboard USB. I found that in bios and diasabled it. Then I reinstalled my pci card but the problem is still there. I can't even complete the installation process berfore the computer freezes.

Thread Information