Help and Such

Thread: Help and Such

Help and Such

I have two computers networking two computers in Windows XP. They connect through a Lynksys router. Right now, I cannot ping from one to the other, but for some reason I can still file share between them.

However, I can only access the Internet on one of the computers (cable modem through the router.)

All the protocal settings are the same for each computer - but for some reason, things aren't clicking.

Anyone know why I can't ping the computers but they can still file share? And any suggestions on how to get the one computer to connect to the Internet would be helpful.

thanks for your help!

P.S. the computer that can't connect to the Internet can't ping the router either.

Greetings steverguy,

Unless there is a firewall program that is blocking the ping I don't know what else the problem could be since you can file share. Let's try some of the basic steps first. Before you do, disable the XP firewall and uninstall any other firewall.

1. Make sure the computer's are connected to the router's LAN port. Also, verify the router is connected to the modem properly. My guess is that you are receiving an automatic private ip address in the 169.254.x.x range. If that doesn't work, then continue to step 2.

2. Unplug the router and cable modem for a few minutes then plug it back in. Open the command prompt and type "ipconfig", then press ENTER. Take a look at the ip address and see if you are receiving an ip address in the 192.168.x.x range. If this doesn't work, then try to restart both computers.

3. Plug the cable modem into computer 2 or the computer that is not receiving Internet. If you can get onto the Internet with the cable modem attached with that machine, then you know it's the router that is giving you the problem.

Let us know how it goes.
    Eric

Thanks! Will give those things a try.

If your system's are filesharing but can't ping, and one has trouble accessing the net, there's 3 things I can think of to try:

a) Protocol: You didn't say whether you config'd the computers yourself, but if they're by chance using a proocol like NetBEUI or IPX for filesharing (versus TCP/IP), then it will work even if pinging doesn't (since that's TCP/IP based). However, that's probably a long shot.

b) Personal Firewall: If a) isn't the cause and your systems are running filesharing over TCP/IP, then connectivity is not the problem since you can connect for sharing. The problem could be that a personal firewall app (XP or other) is permitting filesharing but blocking pings, try following ecross' suggestion and disabling any and all firewall apps temporarily to see if that makes a difference.

c) Router configuration: If one system can access the net but the other can't, yet both can fileshare (and you've ruled out cause a) ), then the problem could be with your router config or with the ip settings on your problem machine. Your router could be blocking internet access for that particular ip address, or your problem machine may not have the correct TCP/IP settings to access the net via the router. Check the subnet and gateway addresses to make sure they match the ones that working machine is using.

Anyways, just some thoughts...

Cheers,
    KV

Thread Information