System Shutdown

Thread: System Shutdown

System Shutdown

We have gotten a new computer that has Win XP-Profesional installed on it. We like to play a lot of the MSN web games, however when we play one particular game, ZUMA, about half way thru the game the computer shuts down and reboots. I can catch a brief message that says "An error has occured and Windows is shutting down". There is other verbage there but it shuts down too fast to see it. It was happening after 2 or 3 games now on the first game. We have an AMD processor, WIn XP-Professional, DSL. It never did this on Win98, so it makes me think it is something with the XP system. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

Go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup & Recovery>Settings and uncheck "Automatically restart". Then the next time you'll get a Stop error (BSOD) instead. Post back with what it says and we should be able to get to the bottom of the problem.
    Nick.

Thanks. I will do that tonight after work. I am sure it will reboot again not long after, it always seems to.

Well, I went and unchecked the auto start, but it still automatically reboots. So we cannot see what the error message says. Any other suggestions?

If it still reboots after that box is unchecked then it's almost certainly a hardware problem. As it happens during game playing the first thing to suspect is the graphics card overheating. Take the side of the case and point a room fan into the case and see if that stops the problem occurring. Updating the graphics card drivers is never a bad idea either.

I'll move this thread to Desktop Hardware, as unchecking that box has largely ruled it out as a WinXP problem.
    Nick.

Busselton Western Australia "Wine Region"
    It's not coming up with abox saying NT AUTHORITY??. That indicates you have a virus which can cause your system to reboot. From memory i am pretty sure it's Sasser\ (Download removal tool)

Also if it's not that Do wat supersparks suggested make sure there is plenty or ventilation

Also try a mem test to rule out that there is a problem with the memory

Download the tester from Here
    15 Macbook Pro | C2D 2.4 | 4 GB | 200 HD | leopard
    13 MacBook | CD 2.4 | 2 GB | 80 HD | Leopard
    12 Powerbook | G4 867Mhz | 1.25GB | 120 HDD | Tiger

Thanks guys. This is a new system, we just picked it up and set it up on July 3rd. I have a call into the guy who built it to see what he plans to do about it.

I will however, try the other suggstions just in case it is a virus. I scanned for trojans last night and it was clear. Thanks for the help.

Error Message

I had posted this before, but cannot find the thread. We have WIN XP and use IE. We get this error when we are on MSN sites:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing the video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

***Stop: 0x0000007E (0x00000ID, 0x8051156B, 0xECCCEB20, 0xECCCE820)

Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

It has been shutting down so fast we could not get the complete error message, but managed to get it copied before it shut down this time. Any ideas what this is caused from? Thanks for any suggestions.

If I posted on the wrong forum, I apologize.

TJolly Guest
    Hi

Is this the thread you are looking for:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...hreadid=167592

Yep that is the thread, thanks. We checked for the virus and a memory test. So just looking for any additional suggestions.

I've merged the two together.
    Nick.

?

Any ideas on the above error message? Thanks.

Hi,

Perhaps the sound card is the problem.
    Go to Device Manager and look for "Yellow" errors. Check Properties of Sound Card and see if driver is OK

Elaine

Thread Information