incomplete start

Thread: incomplete start

incomplete start

Hello all. I recently bought a compaq deskpro that came w/ Windows 2k. About half of the time it will only make it as far as right before the desktop should show up. It hangs there and all I see is the hourglass. The rest of the time it starts normally. I don't have a Win 2k disk or restore disk. I have run Adaware, Spybot, AVG anti-virus. Sorry, forgot to run Scandisk and Defrag yet. I will post back if this solved problem.
    Last edited by stevo344; August 4th, 2004 at 02:45 AM.

msconfig from WinXP: Ripped from WinXP, can be used in Win2k

http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads.html

Get this msconfig. Run it and look in the StartUP tab. Can Uncheck things one at a time till you find the culprit.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

The only startup items I haven't been able to keep from starting are svchosting.exe and mobsync.exe /logon. They're both located in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVe... I don't know what these programs are. Any other way I can shut them down?
    Last edited by stevo344; August 5th, 2004 at 04:18 AM.

Here's an update ; AVG found a couple of viruses it could not get rid of, so i started up Norton Anti-virus. It removed them and I noticed after that I no longer had the startup problem. I didn't take note of what the viruses' names were.

Thread Information