windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Use SCANREG..."

Thread: windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Use SCANREG..."

windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Use SCANREG..."

Hello,
    I have a Dell Dimension 8100, Windows ME...

I went on vacation for about 2 days and came back. Turned on the computer and for some reason it gave me the message:
    (it can't go on normal mode, but safe mode...)

"windows has detected a registry/configuration error.
    use SCANREG to correct this error."

...and that i'm supposed to go on safe mode. So when i go on safe mode, the computer just freezes on the greyish white screen. Is this a common problem?
    I am basically stuck there...i really hope reformatting my computer is not the choice. Could it be a virus?
    * It also said something about 'new hardware installed' but i'm pretty sure i did not install anything....

Please help, your help will most definitely be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Leonard

Boot up with your Me boot disk and at the prompt enter

C:\Windows\Command\Scanreg /Restore

From the list of dates, select the one before your vacation.
    Allow the Restart

Thanks i think it's working now, registry errors fixed!

THANKS SO MUCH!
    Love,
    - Leonard

HELLO ONE MORE THING...
    I just purchashed s Seagate 80 gb hard drive, and i do plan on installing it soon...but my cmoputer only has 128 mb RAM, would that be fast enough?

I wasn't too sure so i got about two- 128 mb RAM s but i just found out their SDRAM, and i have a RDRAM? i talked to somone and he said RAM is ram, it just makes yoru computer faster, it shouldn't matter

HOW MUCH RAM DO YOU THINK I'LL NEED FOR a computer running a 100 gb computer? give me your opinon too thanks

- Leonard

Whoa.

There are different types of memory and you need to get a compatible type. There's a good chance that it physically won't fit in the slot if its not the right kind.

RDRAM (also referred to as "RAMBUS") is a technology that sort of came and went-- so its a bit pricier to buy these days. It was rather proprietary and wasn't embraced by many manufacturers in the long term.

According to my research about the Dell 8100, you need PC800 RDRAM

For example: http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?...model_id=17280 (I've never used that company so I can't really recommend them. Just an example.)
    Last edited by Rapmaster; July 30th, 2004 at 06:24 PM.
    Rapmaster
    (I don't like rap music.)

Microsoft MVP,
    Windows - Shell/User

err....so SDRAM would probably not work huh? cause if that's that case, i'm getting my money back!

thanks for your reply, totally appreciate it....

do you think my 100 gb computer can run on 128 mb RAM, or is that technically not possible?

And the internet doesn't seem to work on the computer i just fixed registry problems with, do you think it's a virus????
    Any suggestions/tips i should do???
    my virus checker hasn't been updated for amonth, and since i can't go on the internet, it's not too helpful at all, at least i think so i'm not too sure...

-Leonard

100 gb will be the total size of your hard drives I guess? (You are adding 80 gigs and you previously had 20????)

That's not really the factor that will determine how the computer runs. 128MB is probably enough to run Windows ME comfortably, but it depends whether you are finding it slow or not. Certainly 256MB would give you a noticeable improvement.

If you ever decide to upgrade to Windows XP, you will definetely need at *least* 256 to enjoy using your computer =)
    Rapmaster
    (I don't like rap music.)

Microsoft MVP,
    Windows - Shell/User

Thank you, as long as my computer will not go on fire then yeah....cool thanks a lot man totally appreciate it...

and as far as my internet problem, are you familiar with it? anyone?

Thread Information