Outlook Express "bad image"

Thread: Outlook Express "bad image"

Hybrid View

Question Outlook Express "bad image"

When I open my OE, before it can start receiving email, an error message appears:

Title bar says "dwwin.exe - Bad image

Error message says " The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\1033\dwintl.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and have downloaded all the latest Windows Update hotfixes for OE, which seems to have made things worse. Can anyone please help?? Thankyou!

Did by any chance recently change the MS flag in the upper right corner of DE?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

No...if you are referring to the MS flag in the upper right corner that waves, it is still the same.

What OS and version of IE are you using?
    dwwin.exe is Dr Watson.
    dwintl.dll is used by the windows error reporting tool.
    It looks like it's trying to send an error to MS for diagnostics.
    Disable Dr.Watson and kill IE's error reporting tool, which is a joke anyway. See if the error goes away.

Description and availability of Internet Explorer Error Reporting tool
    Last edited by Triple7's; July 19th, 2004 at 06:54 PM.

dwwin.exe is apparently related to Dr. Watson and to the IE Error Notification tool.
    The following article basically tells you to disable the Error Reporting tool.
    http://iamnotageek.com/articles.php?...=1&topic=dwwin
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Wink

Thankyou for the tip...but...I disabled error reporting, unchecked the critical error notification box, and disabled Error reporting in Services, and also stopped the service. Now, OE won't come up at all. I rechecked the critical error notification, and was able to get OE back again, but the error message still came back. So, evidently it is some sort of critical error. I appreciate the help, but in the interim, have downloaded Incredimail, which seems to be working fine...still would like to fix this OE problem though!

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    but in the interim, have downloaded Incredimail
    Which will work for now but eventually will stop working altogether. Best to fix OE and get rid of Incredimail, though this is cute email program, the emails you send to others who have dialup internet aren't going to like waiting while all those graphic laden emails download.

Which version of OE are you using and which o/s are you using?

OE v. 6 and Windows XP SP1. Hate XP btw...more trouble than it's worth...unless it's just the operator and NOT the machine.

Have you tried doing a repair of OE? In XP it's not as easy as in win98 or other o/s's but it can be done. I love my XP SP1 but I take precautions when using it.

To repair OE, go here and read the instructions:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_r...e_and_oe_6.htm

I am going to attempt the fix that you suggested...thankyou. But now, I am getting error messages with just about every program I open. It seems to be snowballing...I did a virus scan and a system restore but no help...I think my registry is corrupted somehow.

Don't know if this would help at this point but have you tried running sfc /scannow? Type that in the Run box and have your xp cd handy. Go to "Start" and then "Run" in the box, type sfc /scannow with xp cd in drive. If this works it will fix corrupt files. And may fix what's wrong. If it doesn't fix it, you can do a repair install of xp following the instructions here:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

You did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankyou so much. All errors were fixed. I did not even realize there was such a tool. Thankyou for sticking with me...You are the XP Goddess!!!

Oops...forgot to mention what worked...it was the sfs scannow tool that fixed everything. Wish it would have been easy to get this info from the Microsoft XP site...or as I like to call it "Microsoft's Hell Maze". Again, thanks so much.

You're welcome!! I'm glad to hear everything is fixed now.

Thanks for posting back that the problem was fixed.

Yes, I agree M$'s website can be a bit daunting if you are not sure what to look for. That's why there's Virtual Dr.

Thread Information