4 users want different programs... help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 users want different programs... help!

4 users want different programs... help!

I've had this Dell running Win XP home for more than a year and have never really understood how to really differentiate what different users want. I promised my family I'd FINALLY figure it out.

I'm the administrator, and I use it most, use more programs than the others do and use some programs they'll never use (like WinZip or WS_FTP).

My teens want stuff like AIM and MSN Messenger cuz they use them a lot and they want them to start up when they log in.

My husband doesn't want them at all.

I want MSN Messenger but don't want it to open up automatically, just want to be able to find it when I want to use it.

How do you DO all that? That's just one example, there are other programs that some of us use & others don't too.

Thank you!

Diana

To my knowledge, all you have to do is create a new account (for your husband for example), configure the desktop/other settings and that should be it.

XP will remember each individual user's settings, and apply them when you log in.

Please note though some modifications will apply to all users, but XP will warn you about this.

The settings for each user will be in

C:/documents and settings/user1

and then within that you can find the settings for things like the Start Menu, Favourites, etc.

Hope this helps

Hongman

To my knowledge, all you have to do is create a new account (for your husband for example), configure the desktop/other settings and that should be it.

XP will remember each individual user's settings, and apply them when you log in.

Please note though some modifications will apply to all users, but XP will warn you about this.

The settings for each user will be in

C:/documents and settings/user1

and then within that you can find the settings for things like the Start Menu, Favourites, etc.

Hope this helps

Hongman

Hi Diana,

Yes, that`s the way to do it. Here`s a bit more detail.

Make a User Account for each person.
    As the main User yours would be an "Administrator Account" which will let you make any/all changes to the system. A "Limited Account "will basically just let the user "use" the Account and not make any changes, so it is up to you which type of account to give the others.

Programs
    If yours is the only "Admin Account" you will have to install all programs.
    Sometimes a program shortcut will appear in every Account, and sometimes not. If you want "User A" to have Messenger at startup and it is not happening, go to

My Computer /"C" / Documents and Settings / User A / Start Menu / Programs. Leave this page open

Now go to
    Start / All Programs
    In the list find the program and hover your mouse over it. When the menu pops out find the entry which starts the program running. Right click this entry and click "Copy"

Right click on the page that is open and select "Paste"
    All done

If you don`t want a program to run at startup for someone, just go to the same folder and remove the shortcut.

In the case of Messenger for yourself, you could remove it from "Docs and Settings" (above) and just send the copy of the shortcut to your desktop so it is easy to find, or from the Right click menu choose "Pin to Start Menu"

Elaine

Admin account`

So as the Admin, if I install something to my account does it automatically go to everyone's? I know sometimes my hubby will wonder where a program comes from.

Otherwise, what you've said makes sense and think I can get it straightened out. They already have accounts... d'ya think it would be easier to start over, or fiddle with what they have?

Thanks!
    Diana

Can't access other accounts...

Just tried to do all this, tried to open all the other user accounts in the Documents & Settings and says access is denied. ???

Diana

are you sure you have administrative rights?

If XP says you are the Computer Administrator, you should have installation rights. However, some tasks are still retricted on this account.

There is actually a 'hidden' admin account in XP, which gives you GOD MODE. But for the life of me I cant remember how to bring it up! One of the others here will be able to tell you.

And regarding your question about the installtion of programs, yes. The install in directed to the local HDD, and the users access it from there. As long as they have permission to access it they can.

As quoted from MIZ from one of my earlier question here at VDR...

'To access that Administrator account, hit Ctrl/Alt/Del twice at the welcome screen or boot into Safe Mode where that account will be one of the logon options. If you didn't enter a password for that account during setup, leave it blank.

Be careful poking around in that account. You can do a lot of damage, up to and including locking yourself out of the computer completely.'

We all share info

If the folders of the other users are set to not share, then even a user with admin. right will still not able to access them. The "real" Administrator, though, can. Like others mentioned, you hit "Ctrl/Alt/Del" twice at the welcome screen to log in as THE Administrator.

What you wants to do is kinda difficult. Some programmes will auto start in ALL accounts even if you put them in the Startup folder in one account only. Some programmes will install in ALL accounts regardless. But it's worth trying, though.
    Last edited by falcon2000; May 19th, 2004 at 10:52 PM.

Super administrator...

Maybe I'm trying it at the wrong time, but doing the Ctrl/Alt/Del doesn't do anything for me except lock up my computer.

What exactly should be showing on the screen when I do this, and what do I look for anyway assuming it DOES work?

Diana
    I'm on a 30 day diet and so far I've lost 15 days.

Make sure you have not set it to auto-login.

Although I haven;t done this myself, I am pretty sure it is when the blue screen comes up and you can click on diff users to login. Instead of clicking on a username, hit the ctrl/Alt/Del twice and the Admin account should show up at the bottom...

Let me know if this works!

Hi,

Your machine is running "Home" so the ONLY way to get to the Administrator account is by being in the safe mode.

Elaine

I think I got to the right place - mine was the only account that showed up - but it still said access was denied to every other account but my own when I tried to open them through the Documents & Settings.

I made my son an Admin. (temporarily!) so I could download the upgrade he wanted directly into his account, but don't see any other way to solve this.

Diana

Dunedin:

I didn't know that, learn something new everyday (at Vdr!)

Hi hongman

Me too.

Elaine

Thread Information