win ME versions

Thread: win ME versions

win ME versions

A friend of mine that own a shop for computers repairs told me that there is more than one version of Win ME,
    that M$ issued kind of "quietly" with more drivers and some minor fixes,
    and as a result more stable,
    is there any truth to this,
    cause there is\was a lot of arguments about which OS is better WMe or W98se,
    some say WME is better and more stable, and some say W98se is a far better OS less baggy etc etc,
    I of course acknowledge that both are kind of crappy in comparison to W2k or XP.
    I've been playing around with a laptop that has WMe installed over a W98se (which was the original OS that the Lap came with) I've been cleaning it up of a lot of junk,
    some of which came pre installed and some was added ,
    plus it had spyware and 5 viruses, and tons of residual registry stuff from remnants of uninstalled ware,
    all in all I cleaned about 1.30 GB of junk out of a 4.50 GB size disk,
    and after numerous deletes and reboots, I got 1 BSOD and couple of freezes in all. I was surprised and gained a kind or respect for WMe.
    It seem to be a bit better that W98se, could this be because of the version of WMe that was installed.....
    life is real only then, when "I am "

As I understand it Microsoft released three versions of Windows Me: Step-Up (required a Windows 98 install or CD-ROM to install), Upgrade, and Full. I doubt that any one was more "stable" than the others. There was no public beta before its release and there was no Plus! pack for Me after it was released (Windows 98 Plus! pack was incorporated into ME). As far as drivers is concerned, there was a Windows ME Device Driver Kit (DDK).

There is some confusion about "differences" between build numbers. There were two final build numbers of ME: 4.90.3000 and 4.90.3000.2. They're the same. You never see the .2 anywhere in the UI.

Thx DuaneB. Now, can I bet $ on this!
    life is real only then, when "I am "

Nope. I think I'm right, but I have no doubt that there are others out there that know more about ME than I do. For all I know, someone out there is running two completely different versions of ME right now.

FWIW, Windows ME is only as stable as the software you install. I have run numerous applications, had 5 IE windows open, followed that with a couple hours of video capture and editing, and managed to play a game in there somewhere, after all that I decided to reboot although honestly, Windows was still doing fine without it. Back in the days of Kazaa, I was lucky if I could run any other program along with it, and afterwards, a reboot was a necessity.

Thread Information