Optical mouse not recognized

Thread: Optical mouse not recognized

Optical mouse not recognized

I just got an optical mouse for my Win2000 system, but it is not recognized by Win2000. I tried the optical mouse on a system with Win95 and it works fine.

The optical mouse has a USB connector with an adtapter added on so that it can plug into the normal (round) mouse port. This I plugged into my Win95 system. My Win2000 system doesn't have the normal round plug, so I had to use a serial port adapter. Itried 2 different ones thinking maybe the adapter was defective.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Rocky

Go into the BIOS Setup and in the section called "Integrated peripherals" or similar, make sure that USB mouse support is enabled. Then plug the mouse into a USB port and it should work perfectly.
    Nick.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have any USB ports, that's why I'm trying to use an adapter (USB > serial) on my optical mouse cable.
    Rocky

Hi!

It may be that your particular mouse won't work through such a converter.

Since it worked on Win95 using the round PS2 converter, try it on that same PC using the Serial port converter instead and see whether it still works. If it does, then your Win2000 machine may have its serial port disabled or you may have another device there conflicting (eg internal modem). Or that Win2000 driver may not support serial mice (I seem to recall reading something similar regarding Logitech drivers..)

Best wishes,

Andrew

Another thing you may need to do is to find your boot.ini file in the root folder of C: (it's a hidden, system folder, so you'll need to set your Folder Options so that you can see it). Open it in Notepad and remove the " /Fastdetect" switch that you'll find after "Windows 2000 Professional". Fastdetect disables serial mouse detection.
    Nick.

Thread Information