XP/home-USB and HID ...crashing

Thread: XP/home-USB and HID ...crashing

XP/home-USB and HID ...crashing

I need some suggestions regarding trying to hookup a usb gamepad.
    First off - I understand it loads up and shows as a HID (Human Interface Device) - in device manager, it doesn't show under Multimedia as a gamepad. However, when I hook it up, Windows finds the new hardware and installs it. It shows in device manager as a HID. It shows under game controllers in control panel correctly, and its configured correctly. But it doesn't work with all games. Sim City 4 won't even recognize it.

Now support for this Saitek p220 gamepad, says if it shows in controllers then its configured okay and should work - because its using windows drivers for HID.

Another issue and I think its related. When I have the gamepad hooked up. My system crashes. Saitek support says this shouldn't happen, and to unhook it, and see.

I've had it unhooked for a day or two, and guess what, no more crashes/hangs.

PC Support (Compaq/HP) just avoided the gamepad issue, and emailed me instructions about improper use of system resources by programs and applications can cause crashes...and then gave instructions to empty the recycle bin, delete temp folders, run scandisk and defrag, close background programs and processes, set display for performance, turnoff indexing (good tip, will have to do it), check for memory leakage,do a recovery.

Most of the above I do regularly...I'm going to follow some of the other suggestions about indexing, and checking for memory leakage.

Previous to the gamepad install, I would get this error in Event Manager, on a regular basis. But it didn't seem to cause any actual problems in doing anything on the PC.

February 28, 2004
    Service Control Manager
    The Human Interface Device Access service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.

On install of the USB gamepad...I got this:

February 25, 2004 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.2800.1106, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

February 25, 2004 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.2800.1106, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

February 25, 2004 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application SimCity 4.exe, version 1.0.272.0, hang module SimCity 4.exe, version 1.0.272.0, hang address 0x0058c138.

February 25, 2004 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application SimCity 4.exe, version 1.0.272.0, hang module SimCity 4.exe, version 1.0.272.0, hang address 0x0058c138.

February 26, 2004 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application NOTEPAD.EXE, version 5.1.2600.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

February 28, 2004 LiveUpdate 6004: Internal authentication failed for the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downl oads\Item1089_avenge$201.5$20m icrodefs2_microdefsb.curdefs_s ymalllanguages\enncurd2.x86 file. Run LiveUpdate again as the cause may have been a transmission error. If the error persists, contact your network administrator or LiveUpdate provider.

February 28, 2004 LiveUpdate 6004: Internal authentication failed for the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downl oads\Item1089_avenge$201.5$20m icrodefs2_microdefsb.curdefs_s ymalllanguages\enncurd2.x86 file. Run LiveUpdate again as the cause may have been a transmission error. If the error persists, contact your network administrator or LiveUpdate provider.
    Last edited by DagDog; February 28th, 2004 at 07:39 PM.

I found this article, which says that some games just don't work with it. It could be that Sim City is on of those:

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/supp/p220_support.htm

The crashes/hangs are a bit of a poser though. You can't update the driver because it uses the Generic WinXP ones. Those Event Viewer logs aren't indicative of anything, other than the fact that Iinternet Explorer and Siom City have hung, which you already knew. About the only thing I can suggest is that you see if there's an updated chipset driver for the motherboard.
    Nick.

Arrow RE: Troubleshooting

Got your PM. As to the Gamepad issue - If it doesn't work with WinXP Pro without crashing your system and Windows works fine when this device is correctly uninstalled - go figure - the hardware/software, and this is common, is not compatible with WinXP. I have hardware, and contacts do too, that just won't work with WinXP (scanners, joysticks etc.). And, there's no software upgrades available or ever going to be developed according to the hardware maker) (often Microsoft no less), even with relatively non-aged Microsoft hardware. You just have to not use the stuff with WinXP. Sorry been there, know ur pain.

The other issue is similarly related, just don't use (uninstall) any hardware that generates a negative response from Windows and at most, just check for hardware compatibity to WinXP on the hardware maker's website and/or check for updated WinXP certified drivers for the device before installation.

Only a punk would suggest to another user they need to check for memory leaks. It's likely someone who's just slapped you (hard) for nothing telling you not to hit yourself. It's an insult (like telling you to screw off) and a dodge away from just saying what's wrong as above in a kind fashion. Telling you to check for memory leaks is just wrong, it certainly in no way addresses a fix and suggests you go waste your ur time in a pathetic way.
    I apologise for stating something you already know.

Thanks...now I know the bottom line. People with ADHD appreciate "cutting to the chase" as soon as possible.
    If I had one to give, I'd want to say ....medals in the mail.
    DagDog

Thread Information