Changing a Folder icon

Thread: Changing a Folder icon

Changing a Folder icon

Hi,

I have a folder on my desktop which has all my Grandson's games shortcuts in it. I have acquired an icon which I want to substitute for the normal folder.

I can do it via properties-customize and then browsing to the icon I wish to use, but after the folder has been opened, it reverts to the old one.

I notice that all the alternative icons supplied with the OS are in one file with a name about a foot long.

Can anyone advise me how to make my change permanent.

Thanks
    Any help would be appreciated and acknowledged.

All the best

Batteneye

Are you using an image with an .ico extention? Are you clicking "Apply" after choosing your image?

You can only use .ico images. To change your .jpg or .gif to an .ico go to Irfanview (it's free) and download the image viewer. In Irfanview, go to "File" > "Open" and browse to My Pictures (or whereever you put the image you want to use). Click the image and when it appears in the window go to "Find" again and this time click "Save as". In the "Save as type" box, click the "down" arrow to see all of the types that Irfanview supports. Choose "ICO - Windows Icon" and then "Save". Close Irfanview and try to change your icon again - this time using the .ico image.

http://www.irfanview.com/
    Last edited by DuaneB; February 21st, 2004 at 12:46 PM.

Enable in Folder Options to view hidden files then search for and delete the ShellIconCache file. Reboot. Windows will generate a new ShellIconcache file upon reboot.

If this correct the problem you may want to increase the icon cache size in Windows:
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/57/

XP doesn't have a shelliconcache folder. In XP icons are in Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll.

Thanks to all concerned. Yes, I am using an . ico file and, as I said, the change occurs but is not permanent. I'll certainly get hold of a copy of the file converter mentioned. Apart from that, I am no further forward yet.

Anyone know of a decent (Freeware) icon creator?
    Last edited by BattenEye; February 21st, 2004 at 01:08 PM.

All the best

Batteneye

Most icon creator software is for purchase. I don't know of a good free one. You might be interested in this article from Microsoft. This guy is using a program from FOOOD's Icons and has links to others.

"Let's Make a Theme: Customize Windows XP"
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...r/03june30.asp

I was NOT talking about where the icons are and I did NOT suggest to delete the Shell32.dll file so please DON'T.

Instead, I was talking about the cache file for the icons (NOt the icons themselves.)

But I was mistaken for the name of the chcahe file in XP. In XP the cache file is named IconCache.db. It's will be the equivalent to the ShellIconCache for Win9x.

Delete IconCache.db and reboot will rebuild your icons. Alternatively, d/l TweakUI.
    Last edited by falcon2000; February 21st, 2004 at 01:31 PM.

I apologize. I misunderstood and was too quick to respond.

No biggies. It happens.

Thanks again, one and all. I think DuaneB hit the nail on the head. Apparently I was not clicking on 'Apply' before 'OK'

How stupid can I get? No answers please.

All the best

Batteneye

Thread Information