System File Checker or File Extractions

Thread: System File Checker or File Extractions

System File Checker or File Extractions

Hi Guys,
    I'm not running ME, but having to support it at work, and it being a new can of worms, does anyone have any ideas on if there is a way to perform SCF-like file extractions?
    At this point I'll even take DOS like ones, but there being no DOS I can't see how that will be feasable.
    Things we commonly had to extract in Win 95/98 are winsock files, tapi files, and the like.
    I will try any ideas, and am open to any suggestions.
    Thanks in advance!

------------------
    "Where's the Any Key?"
    "Where's the Any Key?"

I know how with ZipMagic. I don't know if it will work without it, but here goes. Put your WinMe cd in your cd-rom drive and find it in windows explorer. Expand the disk, find the win9x folder and left click on it. Single left click on the cab files one at a time, it should show the contents of the cab files you left clicked on. Double click on the desired files and it will ask you where you want to save it. Like I said, I don't know whether this works without ZipMagic or not, but if it does, you're in business. James

the
    C:\Windows\System\Msconfig.exe"
    now has file extractions

also in the control panel
    add remove programs
    Windows setup tab
    system tools
    details
    Compressed folders
    Check this box if not already checked

TheGorx http://www.geocities.com/thegorx/Windows/index.htm

Thank you, Gentlemen!
    "Where's the Any Key?"

SFC is not gone. Atleat it was not on my machine. Do a search for sfc and you fine the sfc.exe. Move it to windows\system. You will also need to get a copy of sfcdll.dlll from another computer (win98 machine) Also put that in windows\system. I can send it to you if you want. Just e-mail me. After this you can use sfc again or you can just use the option in msconfig.

Kevin
    "Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Just! Bang! F***ing! Bang! Die!

Thanks for the advice, KevDog.
    Our machine at work was upgraded from Win 98, probably FE, to ME, and there is only the sfc.dll file left on it after the upgrade.
    See, we walk people through file extractions over the phone. What has happened now is with the new version and no dos, the old ways of extracting out of the cabinet files does not exist. While the ZipMagic and moving the SFC files back to the OS is great if it was my computer, when the end users start running ME heavily and these files we need become overwritten or damaged, I'm going to need a way to replace them with the original copy, be it that they upgrade from another win version, or a new installation, as easily and with as little discomfort to the person on the phone as possible.
    Thank you all again, I will be spending this afternoon putting your suggestions to work!
    "Where's the Any Key?"

Thread Information