Can CD-ROM mode be changed?

Thread: Can CD-ROM mode be changed?

Can CD-ROM mode be changed?

I have a CD-ROM drive that was lent to me which I just found out could be in either Mode 1 or Mode 2. Mode 1 will read 650 Mb disks but not 700 Mb. Only Mode 2 will read 700 Mb. I have some 700 Mb disks which won't work in it, so I assume it's in Mode 1. Is this a factory configuration which can't be changed or can I somehow change it myself?

There is no brand name on the outside of it, just "56x MTRP (tm)". Even when I ran AIDA system information program, that was all it listed. And of course I have no manual since it was lent to me.

Thanks.

TJolly Guest
    Hi

Why don't you ask the lender for the manual?

This might be the one:

http://www.pcboost.com/store/viewite...idproduct=5967

As far as I know that mode1 / mode 2 setting should be automatic. I really don't know any way of setting it manually on any optical drive, or within Windows either.
    Nick.

TJolly, the lender and the manual (if he still has it, which I doubt) are 400 miles away.

SuperSparks, that's the site where I found out there were such animals as mode1/mode 2. There's nothing else there about them. Today I searched with different terms and found out a bit more. Nothing specific but I gather the modes are set by the burning software for data burning (mode 1) or audio burning (mode 2), and doesn't have anything to do with reading CD's, which is the problem I have.
    So I guess I'm back at square one. Thanks anyway.

I did a bit more digging and found that the Mode1 and Mode 2 are part of the Yellow Book standard for CD's. Any drive should be able to read Mode 2 without any intervention on your part. My feeling is that the drive doesn't like the particular media that you're using for the 700MB discs. Some drives can be very fussy indeed about the media, and especially CDR's CDRW's, as they have a different reflectivity. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do about it, though if you have a lens cleaning disc it wouldn't do any harm to have a go with that.
    Nick.

Super Sparks,

Yes, a cleaning sounds like the logical next step, before buying a new drive.

Thanks for inconveniencing some electrons on my behalf.

Thread Information