Epson scan not able to allocate enough memory.

Thread: Epson scan not able to allocate enough memory.

Epson scan not able to allocate enough memory.

I'm using Epson Scan 1.23A with an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner. When I try to scan a small image in a high resolution (4800), it tells me that it could not allocate enough memory and I should try quitting some other programs. I've scanned images of this same size and resolution just recently without a hitch. I've tried closing all my background applications, but it still does not work. I've even disabled as many memory-using processes as possible in msconfig. Even with everything running in the background, I've got over 700 megs of free memory, and my paging file usage hovers around only 20 megs (I have my paging file automatically managed on a 40 gig C: drive, so there should be no space issues there). There should be no memory problems as far as I can see. I've done the same scan on the same resolution with less available memory. And I have tried simply rebooting. What might be the problem? It really shouldn't be necessary to lower the resolution... Thanks for any help!

Stiltzkin

If you're trying to scan a 4X6 picture at that 4800DPI, for example, the math simply says you're going to need approximately 5GB of memory.

You didn't mention what size object you're scanning, but for the number of years I've used scanners, I never found anything over 300DPI necessary, for good quality prints.

So, if I may suggest, if you are new to scanners, here's a source for everything you want to know about scanning and editing.

http://scantips.com/

Well, the first scan was just a test of resolution. It's a magazine clipping about 4"x2". My confusion was in the fact that I had scanned an image of the same size on the same resolution just days before, and at the time I didn't have to close any background apps. Even with everything closed now, I can't scan the same size image at the same res... I guess maybe I just barely had enough memory to do the first scan, and if closing background stuff didn't free up much, then a minute change in image size could be the culprit. If you say that a larger image would take that much memory, than I guess one this size is coming just too close to my available memory.

Stiltzkin,
    Resolution is one thing and scaling is another. here's an example:

Scan Frame (in Inches) X Scaling = Output (in inches)

If you scan a 6"x4" object at 300 Dpi and scale that at 50% the output will equal 3"x2" at approximately 1.6 MB. This example is for printing that original 6"x4" object, and it now prints as a 3"X2" object.

Now, if you view that same 6"x4" object, scanned at the same 300 Dpi, and scaled at same 50%, and still at 1.6 MB, the presentation on your Monitor is 1800Dpi X 1200Dpi. Note that it is DPI on your monitor Not Inches.

Basically inches is expressed for Printing, and Dpi or Resolution is expressed for Monitors.

As I stated before I very rarely use anything over 300dpi for scanning. The only exception is when I scan negatives, then I do go higher.

Hope this helps.

Ah, that makes sense. I was slightly neglecting the scale option, and I think that it's setting has been changed at some point in the past. I understand DPI vs inches, but I was neglecting the scale setting as a third image size component. Thanks a lot!

Stiltzkin

Thanks and if I may suggest, check out this web site again, and obtain his book or print out information related to your needs.....it's all really good stuff.

http://http://scantips.com/

I use most of the techniques he suggests.

Good luck.

Thread Information