Help with VPN Error 732 PPP Control Protocol

Thread: Help with VPN Error 732 PPP Control Protocol

Hybrid View

Help with VPN Error 732 PPP Control Protocol

Hi everyone!

I need help setting up a VPN to connect to my computer at the office. I am using Windows XP Pro and I have set up a VPN that connect to my work computer through an IP address with my username and password....

The connection works fine if I connect to the Internet with my dial-up account but if I try to use my broadband I get this error message: "Error 732 : Your computer and the remote computer could not agree on PPP control protocols."

What does this mean? and how can I fix it?

Thank you all in advance.

dany

How is your broadband connection set up?

The VPN type I suspect you're using is PPTP, which requires GRE traffic between you and the VPN server. GRE is a separate protocol to what's normally used for data transfer on the Internet (TCP and UDP), and some home routers may not allow it through.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

In NT, make sure accept any auth including clear text is checked. In 95/98 make sure logon to network is not checked and TCP/IP is checked.

I got it, Many thanks

Thank you Tuttle!

It turns out that it's my router that has been blocking VPN from accessing the host server. Once I enable the PPTP protocol with my local IP address, everything is working just fine.

Thank you very much for replying.

dany

732 issues

Hi. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it endlessly.

I have had and used a vpn on my computer for months now, but all of a sudden i got the 732 error message talking to me about authentication and ppp., I have NO idea what this means, or how to fix this problem. I Have a broadband connection with Windows XP SP2. I think it uses a pptp connection. From what i understand, this has something to do with my router being out of sync with my laptop settings. Can anyone help me sort out the jargon and fix this problem. I have a very limited understanding of technical terms too so plz respond in lamens terms. Thanks

Thread Information