new video card

Thread: new video card

new video card

Hi,
    this is my first post to this forum. hope it won't be my last...!
    i have a friend who has an old motherboard, and wanted to upgrade the video card for watching DVD and DivX.
    The mother is a Pc Chips M748, with PCI slots only, and wanted to know which video card do you think it will suits better for that old mother.
    I tried with a XFX GeForce 2 400 64mb and it didn't work.
    Any ideas?
    thanks in advance
    mcclaine

Hi and welcome to Virtualdr. (We hope it won't be your last visit too)

I'm going to move this to the hardware forum where it will fit a bit better.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

It looks that this motherboard has no agp slot and your friend should use only pci graphic card.
    I think that the card you mentioned should work okay.
    You will have to disable the onboard video by going into the bios and only after doing this you can install and run a pci graphic card.

well, that GeForce didn't work and something very strange happened:
    when i plug the card, not only i didn't have any video signal, but also it cuted the power to the DVD and CDRW....
    you know, when you turn your pc in the lights on the dvd and dcrw flashes, well not anymore it didn't let me open/close the devices....nothing. so i took that card off, and everything went back to normal.
    i've tried to disable the mother thorugh Bios, but nothing....
    if you want to take a look, i'm enclosing the mother's manual.
    regards,
    mcclaine
    Attached Files Attached Files

If that GeForce 2 PCI card didn't work, then your friend is hurting. That mobo is pretty old and he/she won't be able to enjoy DVD very well (way too slow). DivX? A foggy "maybe".
    I realize that some people are on very strict budgets, but when it comes to peripherals//apps/games, there is a point where one is forced to upgrade the major components or get left behind. It's just a fact of life.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

you are absolutly right.....and i've told him that!
    but he has a pretty small budget, and what's worse, he was watching DVD very well before, so, it's hard to convince him...
    the thing is, he was under Windows 98, using a dxr2 with a Creative 5x DVD. He wanted to move to XP, and found out that Creative didn't release the XP drivers for the dxr2..... so, without the decompresor, the DVD will work awfull, so i recommend it to buy a new video card.
    i know, why don't he go back to Win98, you may say?? because with that onboard video card, he couldn't watch DivX very well....so the video card change it has to happen anyway.....
    men, i'm lost!!!

So he's running XP on the system right now? Must be awful slow.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Thread Information