Problem installing XP Pro

Thread: Problem installing XP Pro

Problem installing XP Pro

I had XP Pro working fine...but after taking some advice that i now regret, wanted to reinstall windows to clean it up a bit hoping it would run better...anyway...

During the reinstall, "Setup could not copy the file: browseui.dll."

Without this file, explorer.exe will not run. I get to the Windows desktop, but there is no start menu, icons, etc. I can open task manager and do limited things through the browse button from the run menu, but that is it. When i run exlporer from there, it is the same error message, cannot run because browseui.dll is missing. If i pull that dll from another xp computer, I don't get the error message from explorer, but it runs for a few seconds and then disappears from the processes list. Nothing seems to happen. No matter what I do, setup always misses this file. Ive tried two CD-ROMs, ive copied the CD and tried a new one, and I completely formatted the hdd to clean it up. I also copied the entire cd to a second hdd hoping I could just install from one hdd onto the second, but that doesn't work either. I really have no clue what to do. I can find the file browseui.dl_ on the windows xp cd, I assume windows does some kind of decompression on it when it copies it to the hard drive. is there anything i can do with that to try and manually copy it? Thanks a lot to anyone that can help

Go to sart, run [type in] sfc /scannow and have your OS cd handy.
    Let us see if it will replace the bad files.

i did it, and it looks like something ran, but it goes away real quick, like a dos prompt jumps up and disappears, have no clue what happened. should i have the cd in the drive when i run this?

It would have asked for it. Seems it thinks the protected files are OK.

normally when i have problems with missing dlls i can just copy them from another computer and it works fine. the computer i copied this one from is a dell, and it seems like there are modifications to windows on dell computers. do you think the dll could be different? or after i copy it into the system32 folder, is there anything i would need to do, such as edit an ini or the registry so that windows recognizes a new dll?

Being new to XP myself, I hope someone can post a answer for you.

for future reference tho...what was that command u had me run?

alien1rock, that command was the System File Checker. You can read all about the System File Checker in the following MS KB article.

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
    Eric

For anyone that cares to know...i fixed it like this:

Burned a cd that was a copy of my own XP cd, but replaced the file browseui.dl_ with the one that was on my dads Dell version of the XP cd. They were different sizes, but it seems to have worked.

Thread Information