How to determine the size of monitor

Thread: How to determine the size of monitor

How to determine the size of monitor

How can I determine the present size of my monitor? I know it is larger than 14, but may not be 17. As soon as prices drop, presumably after the holidays, I am going to be looking at LCD units and may want to get the next larger size, if I Knew the size of my present monitor.

aob

go to the local computer store, have a saleman show the sizes, then compoare yours at home.

how is anyone gonna tell over the internet??

LCD monitors are measured diagonally (from corner to corner).

I'm referring to the actual screen, not the casing around it.
    Last edited by DuaneB; November 12th, 2003 at 09:10 AM.

If it's an older CRT measure the glass diagonally, add about an inch and then round it off to the nearest inch. (You add roughly an inch because the edge of the picture tube is hidden behind the plastic front bezel -- which usually overlaps the picture tube about a half an inch all the way around).

If it's one of the newer LCD monitors, simply measure the viewing area diagonally.
    Vernon Frazee, Microsoft MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Defenses Up!
    Tip: When prompted for a password, give an incorrect one first. A phishing site will accept it; a legitimate one won't.

Inside Spyware: A Guide to Finding, Removing and Preventing Online Pests

If you don't keep up with security fixes, your computer|network won't be yours for long.

Duane B's got it-----Monitors are usually advertised with two sizes---the actual size of the front of the monitor and, more important to you, the VIS (Viewable Image Size)---the actual screen size. Take a tape measurer and run it diagonally from corner to corner on the front of your monitor---that'll be the monitor size. Then run it diagonally across the screen--that'll be the VIS. Don't be fooled by scammers advertising "21 inch monitors!!", then in a microscopic footnote show the actual VIS as 17 inches. The VIS is what counts. If you go to a retail store to hunt for monitors, take a small tape measurer with you....always. Don't put a lot of salt into the sales sign or what that temporary hired help tells you.

Edit: Vernon Frazee: the Mavis Beacon Speed Typing Honor Graduate--beats me out once again....
    Last edited by bistro; November 13th, 2003 at 08:52 AM.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Thanks.

Diagonally, corner-to-corner, makes sense.

aob

Thread Information