Soldering Iron For Motherboard

Thread: Soldering Iron For Motherboard

Soldering Iron For Motherboard

What is the correct wattage soldering iron to buy for fixing broken solder joints on motherboards and printed circuit boards? Can somebody give me a recommendation of a soldering iron to buy for this?

Be aware that motherboards are multi-layered and therefore not normally repairable with a conventional soldering iron.

I use a 12 watt with a selection of very fine tips for working on PCB's. But if you're going to be working on computer PCB's a lot it would be well worth investing in a temperature controlled soldering iron.
    Nick.

I am constantly fixing things like police scanners and kid's toys that have little circuit boards in them. My big Weller Soldering Iron gets too hot so I am thinking about getting a 30w pencil type soldering iron for small repairs. I am looking at this one >http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=64%2D2067

Here's mine, a 12W Antex (I've got a 25W as well for bigger jobs):

30 Watts is a lot of power for PCB's IMHO, I think you should go for a lower output.
    Nick.

I just bought this one from Radio Shack. I can switch between 15 watts and 30 watts with a flip of the switch. Check it out here >http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=64%2D2055

They closed all the Tandy (Radio Shack) stores down over here, I used to have one literally at the end of my road

That looks ideal. Get a good selection of different tips as well if you can.
    Nick.

Sitting at my computer. Most of the time, anyway.
    I'm not sure if this'll work, but I've heard that a rear-window defogger-repair kit can be used to redraw cut traces on the mobo. Makes sense, since it's a conductor, but I have no idea whether it'll last or break or heat up or cause crashes or whatever. You might want to check that option out, though.
    Ubuntu 8.04
    AMD Athlon 2500+
    Abit NF7-S mobo
    WD 320GB HDD
    1.5GB DDR SDRAM
    Samsung DVD-RW drive.
    Dark Blue X-Dreamer II case.

LOGO Writer, my first programming language. See logofoundation.org for explanation.

Thread Information