How To Transfer From One Tower To Another?

Thread: How To Transfer From One Tower To Another?

Hybrid View

Question How To Transfer From One Tower To Another?

Hello Good People!

I'm needing information on how to transfer files and data from one computer tower to another one. I bought another computer with a bigger hard drive and I'm wanting to transfer my music and saved files and programs to my new one. The one I'm transferring from does NOT have a CD Burner which would have been easier. Is there a particular patch cord or anything else I need? I've never done this before and need pretty simple instructions. LOL

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much and hope everyone is having a great day!
    Leigh Ann (AttaGirl42)

There are a few ways to do this.
    The easiest way requires that both Computers have a Network card. You would have to have both computers hooked together via patch cable or through a home network and they would have to be on the same subnet. You would have to also have Sharing enabled on the drive or folders you with to copy to.

Another easy way (to some people) is to take the hard drive from the old machine and hook it up as a slave to the new machine. You can then just copy/paste or drag what you want over.

As above the simplest method works best in these situations.
    Just install the old drive in the new system and copy across at your leisure.

Ditto on the slave drive.. here's some instructions with pics..

http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how...tic_drives.htm

You probably won't have to go into CMOS (bios) to adjust anything... it's likely already set to automatically detect both drives.

Any questions just ask us

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Hello!!

Thanks for the replies so far! I appreciate each one of them.

I'm wondering if there is a way without my having to take a hard drive from one and jumper it to the other? I've never installed any hardware inside the processor before and I get really nervous about this and my new computer has a sticker on the tower case that says warranty is voided if this security tape is broken to access the inside.

It seems I've read of a way without buying newtwork cards and etc to do this even though it might be a much slower way. Like connecting a patch cord or something.

I'm not trying to be a problem person here, I'm just seeing if there is another way to transfer files without going inside the computers.

As I said, I'm a computer hardware wimp and need everything explained as if talking to a kid! LOL

Thank you all very much for indulging me!
    Leigh Ann (AttaGirl42)

Have a look here..

just past halfway down for instructions on using DCC (direct cable connection) or USB networking. You'll only need the proper cable in order to do either setup.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/winxphom.htm

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information