CD-r/w malfunction need help with diagnosis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD-r/w malfunction need help with diagnosis

Question CD-r/w malfunction need help with diagnosis

I have a MSI CR52-A2 cd-r/w. I'm not sure what the problem is the drive will not recognize disks and if a disk is present in the drive at boot up the led flashes green and red until the disk is removed and boot up resumes normally. Please send any suggestions my way.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Is this an old drive or a new one? If it's older, you might want to try cleaning it with a cd lens cleaner which can be purchased at any computer store or local Radio Shack.

New and clean.

Actually it's fairly new and this is a recent problem. While burninga disk the system locked up and when I rebooted that's the way it was.

Is your BIOS set to boot from the cd drive first? That could be your problem if it is. It's looking for a windows disk. This is sort of like when you set computer to boot to floppy first. Might take a peek in BIOS and see, change it to boot to HDD first.

Good thought

Thank u that was a good idea unfortunatly the problem persists.
    The drive won't even spin up, and there is no tech support avaliable from msi. When you put a disk in it flashes green a few times then red once back to green then stops without even spinning up.

Have you per chance changed cdr brands? Cdrw's can be pickey as to what brands they will work with.

Changed Brands

Yeah I noticed thanky you however it won't spin up any disk at all I'm afraid it's probably a problem with the drive it self any software you know of that would allow me to look at the post for the cdrw would be helpful or anyother advice you might have.

Train that was my next suggestion. I too had problems with different cdrw disks. I now or then (when I had my xp computer) use only Imation disks. They seemed to work better than even Memorex.

If nothing works after our suggestions, I would suggest you look into a new drive, one particular brand we here at vdr seem to like is LiteOn. Pretty reasonable in price too. Last one I bought cost me $43 and that was last fall. Oh and www.newegg.com is good place to look at them.

I was afraid of that

That's what I was afraid of, but your probably right. If you have any other ideas let me know. I'm not giving up yet

Lostchild
    Did you install it and is it a primary slave or secondary master
    I prefer to set up my writter as secondary masters
    Here is a test I use when checking cdr media
    1. I try a commerical audio to see if it will read and play it
    2. I try a commerical program disk and see if that works.
    if yes in both cases then you have bad media.
    if no then you have a reader gone bad, if it's taking a long time to load or read I would say its bad .the price of writter are so cheap now it's not worth the trouble to even think about

What OS? If 98, 98SE or WinMe, go into safe Mode, device manager and check for multi installs and also see it there are any yellow splats with ! or ? marks on the cdrw. If multi installs, remove all instances of the drivers and reboot. Let windows redetect and install the drivers.
    If ! or ? marks, post back.

In XP check in device manager and see if there are any ! OR ? marks. POST if you find any.

any software you know of that would allow me to look at the post for the cdrw
    Not sure what you're asking here but if it's being able to read what's on the cdrw, there is a software available for this. give a sec and I'll see if I can find it.

Test

Thanks I have it setup as a secondary slave to my normal cdrom that didn't seem to effect it though. As far as the test goes I can't get it to even spin up any disk let alone read it. However you are right about the fact that the drive is probably toast still I wand to keep try and at least find out what's wrong with it so I don't repeat any mistakes I may have made.

No Errors

No problems with the drivers Win 98se
    Good thought though

Thread Information