Floppy Disk I/O Error

Thread: Floppy Disk I/O Error

Floppy Disk I/O Error

Windows XP Home. NTFS. I can boot to an A: prompt using a Windows 98 boot disk.

If I try to use the setup disks (makeboot.exe) when I insert the first disk the floppy is accessed and then I get the following error:
    disk I/O error and it hangs at a flashing cursor and that is it.

I have tried numerous floppies and cables with no fix.

I have tried resetting the BIOS with no fix.

I have tried these same and 2 other sets of floppy setup disks in other Win XP Home pc's and they work fine.

I am down to the floppy controller on the mobo possibly but then why would the pc boot from a Windows 98 boot disk?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Micro$oft Works - I Finally Understand the Definition of an Oxymoron.

Before placing blame on the motherboard's floppy controller, I'd try another floppy drive. (They do wear out).
    Vernon Frazee, Microsoft MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Defenses Up!
    Tip: When prompted for a password, give an incorrect one first. A phishing site will accept it; a legitimate one won't.

Inside Spyware: A Guide to Finding, Removing and Preventing Online Pests

If you don't keep up with security fixes, your computer|network won't be yours for long.

Tried numerous floppy drives and cables to no avail.

Weird thing is the original floppy and cable will work when using a Win98 boot disk but not of course I cannot see the NTFS partition. So I made multiple sets of the startup disk set and when I boot from the first disk I get the disk i/o error.

Its like it has to be a hardware problem but then when it boots from a Win98 boot disk I am not so sure.

Stumped would be the word.

Are you making the diskette(s) with the same floppy drive as the one you're attempting to boot from?

If so, I'd be inclined to blame the diskette, not the hardware.

If not, it could be a slight mis-alignment problem between the two different floppy drives.

Defenses Up!
    Tip: When prompted for a password, give an incorrect one first. A phishing site will accept it; a legitimate one won't.

If you don't keep up with security fixes, your computer|network won't be yours for long.

I am making the disks on a different pc.

Are you suggesting making the disks on the pc that is giving me the disk i/o error and seeing if that works?

Worth a shot.

Originally posted by paisan
    Are you suggesting making the disks on the pc that is giving me the disk i/o error and seeing if that works?
    Yes. One, or both, floppy drive(s) may have heads that are out of aligment. If one is say writing the magnetic signals to the left of center and the other is off to the right, it will have trouble reading what was written.

Other problems could be weak magnetic signal, dirty heads, excessive head clearance, etc.

Defenses Up!

Thread Information