Credit Card Won't Swipe or Read

Thread: Credit Card Won't Swipe or Read

Hybrid View

Credit Card Won't Swipe or Read

This probably isn't the exact forum to post a question like this but did you ever try to use a credit card and the credit card machine can't read it. You swipe it in the machine and you get an unable to read card message. This happens to me a lot. Some machines will read the card and some won't. Is there some type of cleaner that you can run across the magnetic strip on the back of the card to help clean it? Anybody have any tips?

I've had the same problem with some cards. The short answer is that your card is failing. Being in close proximity to other cards or any other source of magnetism, will degrade the magnetic strip over time.

This particular card is only a month old. However, when it is in my wallet it is close to other credit cards. I saw a cashier take a plastic grocery bag and put it over the credit card and then procede to swipe it through the credit card machine and it swiped perfectly. I don't know what the plastic did but it made the card work. You can't use that method in the gas station credit card machines only in the counter top swipe through machines.

try putting a piece of tape over the magnetic strip

I thought about doing that. I wonder if it would work. If anybody has had success doing that let us know.

Lightbulb

I once heard snake skin will demagnatize a credit card over time.
    I can tell you one way to kill a card in a hurry. Let a teller accidently hit it with one of those anti-theft tag demagnatizers.
    Some bimbo did it to me at sam goody, not a happy camper.

I wouldn't have said it if it didn't work

Originally posted by speedstr
    I wouldn't have said it if it didn't work
    The nature of a technical support forum is that we all have theories on what will and what won't work. I often say things that I'm sure will work (after all, I wouldn't say them if I didn't have faith that they WOULD work), but sometimes I am wrong. Occasionally, I say something that is met with incredulity, and get responses from people that tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. Sometimes it bothers me, but usually I just let it roll off my back. And there's nothing like feeling vindicated when someone reluctantly follows my advice and meets with success.

Don't worry if you post something and people question what you say-- just build a history of being helpful and let your record stand for itself.

----

This was an interesting thread-- unfortunately, because it is not at all related to business software, I will have to close it. Thanks to the people that provided their input on this subject.

Thread Information