Keyboard suddenly won't work in MS-DOS mode.

Thread: Keyboard suddenly won't work in MS-DOS mode.

Keyboard suddenly won't work in MS-DOS mode.

The keyboard works fine in Win95, but for some unknown reason it stopped working in MS-DOS mode.

When I click on the "short-cut to MS-DOS" icon, Windows brings up the typical black window with the "C:\WINDOWS>_" directory, but won't recognize what I type from the keyboard.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be highly appreciated!

Try swapping the mouse and KB around by plugging them into each other's ports, then reconnect them properly. You have to do this while the computer is running. I know it sounds like an exercise in futility, but it works nine times out of ten. You'll then have to reboot the system afterwards because you'll lose the mouse once you unplug it. Press the Windows key (or Ctrl+Esc) to bring up the start menu, then use the Up arrow key to highlight Shutdown, hit Enter, use either the Up or Down arrow to select "Restart" then hit Enter.
    You may just have a corrupt KB driver. Go into Device Manager and remove the keyboard controller, then reboot the system and let Windows re-detect it. [|B]

Thank you Beethoven.

Deleting the KB controller from Device Manager and restarting Windows made alot of sense. So, I did just that, and guess what? My KB works in MS-DOS mode again. Yippee!

Thread Information