Changing keyboard driver from command prompt

Thread: Changing keyboard driver from command prompt

Hybrid View

Changing keyboard driver from command prompt

To make a long story short, my Windows XP professional now has the wrong keyboard and mouse driver installed so when it boots up I can't do anything at all. I can use the recovery from the CD to get to a command prompt though.

My question is: What do I have to edit to change the mouse and keyboard drivers back to something more standard/generic?

I can also boot to an alternate Windows to see the files in the c:\windows directory so I might be able to do a REGEDIT if the settings are there. (Please let me know the location to edit)

Thanks.

1) Can you get into safe mode?

2) Keyboard drivers aren't that different, unless you're using two different languages. Are you sure it's not a hardware failure?

3) Repairing from the repair console from the XP CD should fix any driver issues, but will roll back your XP updates.

Unhappy I am even more screwed now

The hardware is working since it works in my other system boot. I screwed things up even more though...

I did a repair install where it reinstalls everything. Now after it reboots the first time it asks me if I want to install an unsigned keyboard driver. Of course, I can't even click on it to make it continue to install!

Now I am even more screwed!

Anyone know how to back out of an install? Maybe some file I can change to make it go after a more standard keyboard or mouse?

Thanks.

One workaround for this would be if you have, or can borrow, a USB mouse and/or keyboard. They use different drivers, which windows should install automatically the first time you boot with the device(s) plugged in to USB. Or you can find the commands for driver removal in this KB article:

Description of the XP Recovery Console
    Nick.

Thread Information