System will not detect my digital camera

Thread: System will not detect my digital camera

Just south of the Poconos in Pennsylvania

System will not detect my digital camera

Win 98SE
    Compaq Presario 5838
    TI OHCI IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Over the past several months I all of a sudden lost the ability to transfer images from my Sony DCR-TRV8 NTSC.

The system came preloaded with the card and a port in the front and back. I have always used the port in the front. Now suddenly no matter what software I use the software will not detect my digial video camera. What the heck am I doing wrong? This is driving me crazy. I have tried reinstalling the drivers etc and just nothing ever works.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Mark

make sure you have the latest motherboard drivers installed. If you have a Via chipset motherboard, go to viahardware.com or check to see if your digital camera software is up to date.
    "What I really need is a woman who loves me for my money but doesn't understand math."

#1 - Thank you to the administrator who moved this thread to this forum. I did not realize there was a forum specifically for this issue

#2 - chorro - I have no idea what type of motherboard I have and the camera never came with any type of software when I bought it 3 years ago. I used software that was bundled with the PC when I bought it - MGI Videowave II and it worked fine until just a few months ago where it just stopped working. The software just did not show me the "Capture Image" button anymore so I had thought there was something wrong with the software because I had made some changes to it and had thought that for some reason I may have turned off the "Capture Image" ability of the software and not that there may have been something that I may have changed on one of the hardware settings. So I removed the software with the intent of reinstalling it from the restore CD's and finally found out from HP/Compaq that I can not selectively reinstall this software but can many of the other packages that came with my system. In the meantime I guess the change that I had made to the hardware is still lerking where it is making it not possible for me to use any software to capture anything, images or video with my camera. I am almost 90% certain that if I format my harddrive and reinstall the entire restore CD's that I will have my functionality bck again but I have too much customizing of my system to just make that decision without trying some other options first. This is why I am reaching out to this forum for some advice as to maybe there may be a simple solution to some who have more experience than I do with this type of hardware.

Thanks

try downloading and installing Aida32 here. It'll give you detailed information on your specs.
    "What I really need is a woman who loves me for my money but doesn't understand math."

I have downloaded and run Aida32. It gives a lot of information but I don't know what I am looking for that should be there and what is there and should not be there or what is there and needs to be changed. i just don't have enough knowledge of this area.

Meantime I have consolidated all my problems to one thread at ---> http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...hreadid=141729

Thanks

Thread Information