Okay, so I'm seriously freaked out here.

A few days ago I started getting a problem with my computer dropping to a Black Screen and hanging. Basically, the problem occured while working on the desktop in Win2k - the screen would suddenly turn black, and the monitor would drop to standby mode (the light turning amber). The computer, however, would still be running. Fans, disk drives...they were all still on.

While it looked like standby mode, I couldn't 'wake up' my computer, so to speak. Warm booting had no effect; I had to hit the reset switch.

Sometimes, it booted right back up. Other times, I had to power off and then wait a few seconds. When it finally rebooted it took an irregular amount of time to load my desktop icons.

At first I thought it was a heat issue. I moved my computer into a well-ventilated area, and made sure it was cool. The issue still occurred.

Then I thought it may have something with power settings. I made sure that any auto power save settings were off both in the BIOS, and in the Windows monitor settings.

I then thought it was a problem with my GeForce4 - so I swapped it out for an old 16mb RIVA TNT2. It looked like that was it. Everything worked perfectly. No problems. I talked to the Visiontek people and they told me to put it back in to run some troubleshooting. I did. For an entire day, there was no problem with the GeForce4.

Today, the black screen happened again. So, I took out the GeForce and put in the TNT2 once more. Everything was fine again...but then, the computer spontaneously rebooted....and then again and again and again. This was strange since I know for CERTAIN that the "automatically reboot" on BSOD option wasn't checked.

I booted in safe mode and made sure the startup and recovery settings were checked as I remembered. They were. I got suspicious and ran a virus scan. The scan said it found a worm/malware and cleaned it. It scanned until somewhere in C:/Program Files when the PC Speaker beeped for about 2 seconds. Then it beeped again. Then it kept beeping and wouldn't stop.

When I rebooted, it said "OS not found." Nearly s**tting my pants, I put in my Win2k CD and it said "hard drives not found - can't install or repair."

I was thoroughly freaked. I figured everything was lost and the worm wiped it all out. I disconnected my computer and waited.

Just for the heck of it, I triple-checked all the connections and PCI cards, and even dropped a friends 32mb ATI card in there just to be sure.

After five minutes I rebooted and went into the BIOS. Lo and Behold, it recognized both of my drives. Interesting...

I tried to start Windows. Everything booted fine.

?!?!?!?!

What in the world is going on?? I did another complete virus scan and came up with nothing. What should I do? What's going on??

My Sys Config:

Dual Athlon 2000 processors
Tyan S2460 mobo
1GB DRR-RAM
SB Audigy
Multisync FE 950+ 19"
Win2k pro, SP2

I have two drives - one ibm 40gb (sys) and a wd 100gb