Can I stop new windows from cascading?

Thread: Can I stop new windows from cascading?

Hybrid View

Can I stop new windows from cascading?

If you have an application's original window not maximized, Windows automatically positions a new window (File|New) so the application's windows cascade; that, is a new window is placed slightly below and slightly to the right of the previous window.

I would really like new windows to not cascade: I want them to have the same position and size as the original window.

Is there a tweak to have Windows do it that way automatically? Or are there tweaks for individual applications?

Thanks.

P.S. I know that if you re-position each new window, some apps (like IE) will "learn" that you want new windows to be the same size and position as the original, and will start to place them that way. But that behavior does not last from session to session, and it's still annoying to have to re-position new windows.

I know this is not a big deal, but it is really starting to bug me.

In IE6:
    Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > (check) "Reuse Windows For Launchng Shortcuts" > Apply

In Explorer:
    Tools > Folder Options > General > (check) "Open Each Folder in the Same Window" > Apply

TrueHeart--Perhaps you have a check mark next to Tile Windows (either) Horizontally or Vertically when you right click a blank spot near the clock at the very bottom right of the screen?
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

go to select folder options and open "custom" page. select open page in the same window.

you probably selected custom views.. so unchecking it will return you back to view as normal desktop or view as webpage..

mach

Thanks, everybody. I don't think these suggestions address my situation. I will try them, though, and I'll get back to you.

TrueHeart--If your problem truly is one of having a new window open in the right size, here is how to accomplish that (courtesy of brett, who refers to the new window as the "daughter")
    "Are you able to alter the size of the "daughter" window by dragging? If so, open a "daughter" window, drag it to the size that you want, close the "mummy" window, close the "daughter" window and you should (fingers crossed!) find that the window sizes "stick". "
    You mention of cascading is what made me offer the first suggestion. Normally new windows, whatever their size, do not cascade.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thanks again, all.

"Reuse Windows For Launchng Shortcuts" was already checked.

In Folder Options, "Classic style" has always been selected.

I frequently do the daughter-window / mother-window shuffle, and (as I mentioned) it does change the behavior of Internet Explorer. But only for that session: if I logoff/logon, or even exit IE entirely and get back in again without logging off, the original behavior returns.

I thought that the behavior I am trying to describe is a standard Windows 98 behavior. It happens with MS apps (like IE or Word) that allow you to open a new window.

Apparently, I am not expressing myself very well. I will make some screen captures and post them when I get a chance.

I believe I understand what you are saying. When you open multiple windows of the same app it cascades.. ie opens each one slightly below and to the side of the previous. This is the same as right clicking the taskbar and selecting "cascade windows".

And you want them directly on top of each other. I just wanted to try and clarify this. I don't know exactly how to stop it but I'm quite sure there's a registry setting that could be altered. Maybe someone else would know which key.

Doing a reg search for "cascade" gets about ten hits.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Originally posted by fink
    I believe I understand what you are saying. When you open multiple windows of the same app it cascades.. ie opens each one slightly below and to the side of the previous. This is the same as right clicking the taskbar and selecting "cascade windows".

And you want them directly on top of each other. I just wanted to try and clarify this....
    Exactly. I'll check the registry. I have Xteq Systems X-Setup, but if there is a plug-in for this situation, I can't find it.

I searched the registry, and I didn't come up with anything that looks like it will address this issue.

Thread Information