Help!avi Troubleshoot

Thread: Help!avi Troubleshoot

Unhappy Help!avi Troubleshoot

hiya,i have trouble opening any avi type file(.avi).everytime i try to open it , there is a message saying "cannot open file.the format is not supported".what can i do?since i have a bunch of movies that i downloaded from the net using that type of format.i'm using windows xp.

These movies would of course be "trailers" and not illegal downloads.. yes ?

Have you installed the correct codecs to play the file ? Many "trailers" are encoded to divx to reduce the size and maintain resonable quality so you will need to have the codecs used to play the file on your system.

Try

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tools.htm#codecs

The homepage of Kazaa Lite also contains links to a codec pack containing many of the most common codecs. I can't give a link however as one of the codecs included may be ..cough.. of dubious legality .. and thus illegal to link to on this site .
    Current PC

Zoostorm
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, (XP Mode virtual pc enabled)
    WEI 7.4, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 5.9
    Intel Core i5-2310, 8GB Ram
    Geforce GTX 660 OC
    Samsung Syncmaster SA300 23.6" monitor

Folding@home
    User Name Sintares
    Team guru3d

There is no such thing as overkill. 'Open fire' and 'is it dead?' are the only sane options when threatened.

nope,not working

hiya,thanks for trying to help me out of my prob.nope,the movies are not trailers,not illegal either(i hope so ).anyway i tried divx codec but it just doesn't work.then i tried the avi codec,still doesn't work but it said something about "Not AVI file,Unknown Type".how can that happen since the files are in "filename.avi".is there some type of hardware/software that i should install?please help.thanks.

Hi and welcome to Virtualdr

It may be improperly named. That occasionally happens. Download Gspot here..

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

it will tell you what kind of file it is and if it's an avi what codecs you'll need.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information