Eudora 5.2.1 Error Reading from Network Cause:Connection Closed by Foreign Host???

Thread: Eudora 5.2.1 Error Reading from Network Cause:Connection Closed by Foreign Host???

Eudora 5.2.1 Error Reading from Network Cause:Connection Closed by Foreign Host???

I get this message everytime I check my email and it just started about 3 days ago. I still get my email but this message pops up after I get my email.

Uninstalled and reinstalled software with no change and cannot find anything in Eudora settings that might make any difference.

Any Eudora users out there?

I have attbi.com as my isp but they are changing to comcast.net

Not sure if it is just a temporary problem with them messing about on there end or if this is a problem on my end.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Micro$oft Works - I Finally Understand the Definition of an Oxymoron.

Vernon Frazee, Microsoft MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Defenses Up!
    Tip: When prompted for a password, give an incorrect one first. A phishing site will accept it; a legitimate one won't.

Inside Spyware: A Guide to Finding, Removing and Preventing Online Pests

If you don't keep up with security fixes, your computer|network won't be yours for long.

paisan, I'm seeing exactly the same problem that you are. I'm also using Eudora 5.2.1 and have attbi.com as my ISP. I don't think it's a Norton Anti-Virus issue (that Vernon alludes to), since that was for earlier versions. I'm also seeing this problem when I connect from work (using Mutt and SSL). I've been using this method for several months without problems, but it just started to show up about a week ago.

I did a live chat with comcast support. They were basically no help and said that they only support Outlook Express as a mail client.

Please post if you find out any information. Thanks.

I use Eudora 5.2 not 5.2.1 which is the latest. I don't have any such problems with it.

You may try setting up OE with your pop3 and smtp settings. Then see if OE returns the same error message, if not, then it may be your version of Eudora. If you still have the previous version, switch back. hth
    "Dreams are born in your heart and in your mind, only there can they ever die." - Art Berg

I see this problem with both 5.2 and 5.2.1. I am able to use OE and I don't see this error, but my preference is to use Eudora. As I pointed out, I'm also seeing a problem with Mutt and SSL, which started at the same time as the problems with Eudora, so I still think the fault lies with attbi/comcast. Maybe things will clear up once we switch entirely to comcast at the end of June.

I did some checking on comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows and there are several threads about this issue. It seems to be related to new server software that attbi/comcast installed on some email servers. Here's one of the threads:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...04ax.com#link1

Let's hope this gets fixed soon.

Yep, Another ATTBI'er with Eudora getting the foreign host error

I too have Eudora 5.2.1 and just started getting the foreign host error message from ATTBI/Comcast/etc's mail servers this morning. I have NAV-CE 8.0 on both my 98 and XP box but it's not running in the background and get the error from Eudora on either platform.

Hawk from the previous list that was posted out of Usenet thread mentioned to eliminate the problem you need to tun off the SS from your personalities...

"Secure sockets when sending/receiving" in each of your personalities to "Never".

Been there, done that, does not fix the problem, but I have multiple Eudora personalities ... does it work for anyone with a single personality?

I think it's going to be something all of us new Comcastees are going to start seeing for a while until the people maintaining the mailservers wake up and smell the beans.

The fact it works on OE doesn't really mean anything since OE is a cruddy client and MS adheres to RFCs only if it benefits them, or they created the RFC. The fact that Comcast doesn't support Eudora as a client is a blow since again OE sucks, but from their standpoint, less is better.

For what it's worth, you aren't going to lose any mail - you can send and receive mail without issue ... the completion "handshaking" is what's failing ... In layman's terms, instead of you hanging up the phone like you normally do, the other side does it 1st before you said Goodbye. You still had your conversation ... you just didn't say goodbye. Irritating, but nothing that will cause any long term grief.

"Secure sockets when sending/receiving" in each of your personalities to "Never".

Been there, done that, does not fix the problem, but I have multiple Eudora personalities ... does it work for anyone with a single personality?
    No it does not sadly.

Same boat as everyone here and no answer other than I am positive it is from the forthcoming swith to comcast.

I have tested on Win98 laptop running Eudora 5.2 and on my desktop run Win XP Pro with Eudora 5.2.1. Same error each time.

I have changed nothing in my Eudora settings.

I can still send and receive email without a problem but just wondered if anyone out there was seeing this as well.

For now I am just ignoring the error.

How can a company as big as Comcast say they only support OE.
    They would have to pay me before I would use OE.

If I find any info of any value I will surely post back here.

Thanks for the input folks.

How can a company as big as Comcast say they only support OE.
    They would have to pay me before I would use OE.
    lmao, you got that right. i was subject to a live chat a few days ago to resolve this error we all are getting and argued with the tech for ten minutes that eudora is a fine robust program. i stated that my eudora worked for 1 yr and 3 hrs. the reply was "pretty good" so i said "those three hours were earlier today! finally i caved in to configure OE and, this is so funny, he/she told me to "end task" on my fire wall and av which totally locked up my ports. when i followed the instructions given to me, OE would not work! BWAHAHAHAHAHHaa

omg how much they get paid, i want that cake job!

Just an update for those who are interested.

As of sometime this morning, the foreign host error has stopped. My email still functions properly, but now without the error message.

Thread Information