Cloning drive with XP

Thread: Cloning drive with XP

Question Cloning drive with XP

Here's my problem

I needed to clone a WD 60 GB Hard drive that had XP Pro on it. I put it into my clone machine... set up another exactly similar hard drive as the target and cloned it (the cloner said it was successful)

However, when I popped the cloned hard drive into the pc I got a STOP 0x00000024 error message. It would not boot up to the OS at all. I could not get it to give me a command prompt to try and checkdisk or anything!!!

Is XP set up so that it is unclonable? (if that is a word)

I am desperate... please reply ASAP

You are partially right--XP Pro is "unclonable" in the conventional way. Here's a pretty good article about that and how to do it correctly.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

I use Ghost 2003 to clone/copy my XP Pro os to the 1st partition of my second drive. I have had no problems doing it this way. Usually I make a new copy/clone when ever I install a new program or once a week, which ever comes first.

I have been doing this for the last 3 years with ghost 2001 and/or 2003.

You will need to make sure that the clone drive is set to be bootable if you plan on booting from the cloned drive. A dual boot program should do that for you.

gl mac
    If computers are so smart, why don't they just fix themselfs??

Drive like you work---slow

pmckinnie: Are you cloning or imaging? There is a difference.
    I image my primary drive once a week onto my secondary drive for emergency restore purposes. But to make a 1:1 bootable clone is a different animal altogether.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

I do have the Norton's Ghost 2003. I am going to try and ghost to another hard drive. We'll see what happens.
    Thanks for your help

If you're trying to create an image on a drive that you intend installing in another PC, which is what you seem to be saying, then it'll only work if the two PC's are identical hardware wise. What you can do, though, is after you've installed the drive in the new machine you can do a Repair install using the XP CD. That'll write a new Hal.dll file to enable the 2nd PC to run. You'll keep all your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP1, Windows Updates and any unsigned drivers.
    Nick.

I am lucky in that respect. My second pc is exactly like my original. I had two made to the same specs. So keep your fingers crossed.

If it has not been more than 120 days since you last activated on the first machine, you're going to have activation issues after moving the drive image to another machine.

If it has, then you don't have to worry.

What do you mean by activated?

Unless you've got a volume licence, then Windows XP has a "feature" called Product Activation where it produces a code based on the hardware of each PC. This is sent to MS and an activation code is returned, if you don't do so within 30 days then you won't be able to use XP any more until you do. However identical they may seem, that code is generated from things like the NIC MAC address and the hard drive serial numbers which are unique to each PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...activation.asp
    Nick.

if you are planning on deploying an image or a clone on the same network, make sure to run the MS sysprep file so that it generates a new SID... or you will receive NETBIOS and/or domain authentication errors

You can find the sysprep tool at the following path on your XP disk:

\Support\Tools\Deploy.cab

MS sysprep info

Thread Information