What "little" program could you simply not do without? - Page 5
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What "little" program could you simply not do without?

I'll jump in, but will skip all the usual proggies like zonealarm, winzip etc.

Apps:
    - Acronis True Image (I like it better than ghost, easier to use and does the job fantastically)
    - IE Booster (excellent add-ons for IE)
    - jv16 PowerTools , excellent system maintenance tools and free
    - SecureCRT , the only sane way to telnet with SSH..
    - Connectix VirtualPC for OS emulation (no more dual boot needed!)

Useful websites:
    - VirtualDR (I admit I have a few logins :P)
    - SnipURL.com for shorter URLs (use it as an online bookmark manager with some cool features)
    - Yac.com for online faxing solutions.
    Last edited by erick_p; March 19th, 2003 at 02:43 AM.

winzip what?

for gods sake ppl use winrar

unless you like bloated proggies

Originally posted by Beep
    Open Expert adds an Open With right click menu to any file type to open in any application you choose. I cant imagine doing without it.
    you can do this w/out having to install a program by holding the left shift key down

Re: winzip what?

Originally posted by Running_on_Wheel
    for gods sake ppl use winrar

unless you like bloated proggies
    winzip bloated? it is one of the fastest unzippers out there! (in my experience on win 98, nt, 200 and xp at least). in fact i think winrar's interface is stupid with all that clicking into folders required...

Its much easier with Open Expert, believe me, you can open a file in as many apps as you like with just a couple of clicks.

i guess i wouldnt bother with a whole application for such a minor purpose, especially when i can easily do this much more cleanly by myself with one simple registry entry...

http://snipurl.com/openwith

shouldnt be that difficult!

Open Expert saves a lot of registry editing, is free and doesn't use any resources to speak of. I'm with Beep. (FREE)

NetLaunch is a good freeware app that is particularly useful for people like myself who still don't have access to high speed in any economically sound form. You can set it to start up any number of applications after it dials up (or detects a connection) to the web. You can then configure it to close any applications (ie ZA, IE, Opera, Eudora...... AtGuard) when you disconnect. Small too.
    http://www.blackcastlesoft.com/downloads.asp (FREE)

Irfanview rocks! (FREE)

Windows Commander (now Total Commander 'cos of potential problems with MS Bill) is the first thing that goes on my system after the OS (see previous post) (NOT FREE)
    http://www.ghisler.com/

Still have Cleansweep and AtGuard (now Norton security) before they became part of Norton bloatware. (NOT AVAILABLE UNDER THESE NAMES)

Snag-It is a great screen capture utility with lots of features. (NOT FREE)

Open Office (FREE) full office suite that can open, save... Word Perfect and MS Office documents, spreadsheets...... www.openoffice.org

Gotta Go! But there's more out there.
    Just trying to give others a friendly hand.

SearchBar is a great tool to search different sites without having to go there first. It also allows you to add your own sites. For example, if you want to add the newspaper classifies, you can.

I'd also suggest downloading the Search Bar 1.1 Internet Explorer Addon. This addon lets you use the search engines you've added to Search Bar 1.1 in Internet Explorer. Just select some text, right-click and choose the search engine you want to use.

Click on any 1 of 2 images to download that particular item.

SearchBar

I created my own .dat engine to work with SearchBar. You are able to search all the sites below that I listed.

Search Engines
    Google
    AltaVista
    Excite
    HotBot
    Lycos
    Vivismo
    Yahoo
    Ask Jeeves
    Ask Jeeves KIDS
    Teoma
    WiseNut
    AlltheWeb
    ABC Search

Dictionaries
    Dictionary
    Thesaurus
    Merriam-Webster
    M-W Thesaurus
    Encarta
    Britannica

Search Magizines and Newspapers
    e-Library

Computer Related
    SmartComputing Dictionary & Encyclopedia
    Technical Dictionary
    HowStuffWorks
    Langa List
    TheElderGeek.com
    TechWeb Content via Google

Downloads
    Cnet/Download.com
    ZDnet
    WebAttack

MicroSoft
    Microsoft
    Microsoft Support Via Google

Shopping
    PriceGrabber.com
    Froogle
    Bartleby Books

Health
    WebMD Health

Auction
    eBay

File Extensions
    FILExt

Locate A Phrase
    The Phrase Finder

Scams
    ScamBusters

Misc.
    Weather
    Stock Quotes
    Recipes
    Infoplease
    About.com
    whatis.com
    Usenet/NewsGroups Via Google

You can download it, also if you'd like.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Fuelm@n; May 21st, 2003 at 05:28 PM.
    "Dreams are born in your heart and in your mind, only there can they ever die." - Art Berg

RegSeeker is a perfect companion for your Windows registry.
    RegSeeker includes a powerful registry cleaner and can display various informations like your startup entries, several histories (even index.dat files), installed applications and much more. With RegSeeker you can search for any item inside your registry, export/delete the results, open them in the registry. RegSeeker also includes a tweaks panel to optimize your OS.
    Its also freeware.
    RegSeeker

http://jansfreeware.com/jftools.htm for another good link.

extreem clean programs and apps. no headaches with jan's tools.

mach

jan's zips are passworded.

Edit, just found the passwords. :blush
    Last edited by Beep; March 20th, 2003 at 12:37 AM.

Spybot Search&Destroy, IrfanView, AVG, Kazaa Lite, etc...

I live in the country and use the ol' copper lines for my internet use. I use DAP > Download Accelerator by www.speedbit.com. It triples my downloads, and logs all my downloads. My 56 modem almost always hits 5.5 and I have even sustained speeds over 7. This has been especially useful when finding an interesting sounding program that has been given a different or unfamilliar description, but you already have. And has a resume feature.

I also use stripmail http://www.dsoft.com.tr/stripmail/ it removes and repaginates your forwarded email of those stupid>>>>>'s.
    I put a thingy? ( gawd I must be tired) on my desktop and w/ two clicks its done. This way saves a lot of opening ang closing windows while in OE, since I only have to minimize OE

Andrew

Talking Thanks for the GREAT Response

I'm glad to see such a huge outpouring of information in this thread. I had hoped that it would become what it has and I have gained a huge amount of knowledge from all of your contributions. I've saved every page of this thread so far because I intend to use many of the programs that have been listed.

Thanks again for your submissions to this thread and I hope to see even more programs added to the list.

Webshark2000

Wow, I can't keep up with all the stuff. Would be nice (as most people do) to note whether it's freeware or not. Many of us like our programs free.

liveJohn3:16forever

IIRC, DAP is adware, probably not bad adware, but adware none the less. I think pricelessware had an alternative for a download manager. I actually went out and bought one since so many of them had spyware attached (GoZilla, Getright, DAP, etc.)

Thanks fuelm@n and MACH

For those of you interested, I'm getting together a list of freeware photo/graphics/thumbnail/icon batch of programs (all free); hopefully the links too. Post it tonight or maybe Monday.
    Philo

Running: (1) Windows 7 Home Premium (Dell Studio 540)
    and (2) Windows XP Home SP3 (Dell Optiplex 330)

Thread Information