What "little" program could you simply not do without? - Page 4
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What "little" program could you simply not do without?

fink

Apologies are in order; just went over to the UZ forum and find there's a discussion about UZ adding a banner ad. Lots of people unhappy. I, however, have the 2.6 version (apparently the last one before the ad). There are lots of other zipper/unzippers that are free, however none has been as compatable with WinZip as UltimateZip.

Anyway, just thought I'd update my post.

In addition, and in accordance with Ridgerunr's idea, my candidates for cool links are:

Pricelessware
    and
    Windows Annoyances
    Philo

Running: (1) Windows 7 Home Premium (Dell Studio 540)
    and (2) Windows XP Home SP3 (Dell Optiplex 330)

Philo.. yea, that happens to lots of good programs... Oh well, I guess it's a good thing there are sites like

http://www.oldversion.com

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Do yourself a favor and go look at this totally free zip program: http://www.webmasterfree.com/zipcentral.html

I've been using it for 3 years or so and am happy as a' clam with it. No nags, no ads, and does all i want...
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

Well,,got to thinking since it had been awhile since i'd been there. The link i gave above takes you to a site with the 3.xx version. There is now a new version out ( 4.01 ). You can get it here:
    http://www.cns.yorku.ca/computing/apps/zipcentral/

Great lil' program imo...
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

I've really enjoying some of these utilities/programs that have been suggested. I'm currently using Clickie, that John Steven suggested and also Clipomatic, that Report_2 suggested.

To add another on my list...

Last edited by Fuelm@n; May 21st, 2003 at 05:07 PM.
    "Dreams are born in your heart and in your mind, only there can they ever die." - Art Berg

Cool

discogail mentioned a clipboard cashe program called Clipomatic; I used another one called Cliptrak

but....

there's an even better one called Yankee Clipper . These are both freeware, so enjoy.
    Philo

Drive Image is a powerquest product, and its just fab. It makes a full image of all the data on the selected drive, compressed and spanned accross as many CDs as it takes. My basic installation of 1.2Gb fits onto one CD when compressed. You can also choose compression ratios.
    You can restore it into any partition of any size (as long as its at least as big as the data, of course)

i believe EvrSoft 1st Page is my most needed program. it is the best html editor i have used

and not a program but a website....this si very handy when it is needed =)

*Moderator Edit*
    URL deleted due to inappropriate content
    Windows XP Professional Version SP1

Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
    Intel Desktop Board D845GBV
    BIOS Version RG84510A.86A.0024.P13
    533 MHz System Bus Speed
    266 MHz System Memory Speed
    512 MB DDR 2700 SDRAM
    60 GB Maxtor 96147U8 Ultra-ATA/66 HDD @ 5400/RPM Primary IDE Master
    Nvidia Riva TNT2/TNT2 Pro
    Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-115 Secondary IDE Master
    HP CD-R/RW 8x4x32 Secondary IDE Slave
    Delta DC-770 Monitor

PhiloVance,

PC Magazine now charges a $20 yearly fee to download any of their programs. I subscribe to the magazine, and it's not even free for me anymore. As a subscriber, my fee for the service is $15 vs. the $20 others pay. I feel as a subscriber to the magazine, mine should at least be free, but it's not.

You can still download ClipTrak but only at a different site.

You can download Yankee Clipper at a different site also. Yankee Clipper III version 1.91, it is the same program PhiloVance mentioned, I just could get his link to work.
    Last edited by Fuelm@n; March 18th, 2003 at 03:02 AM.
    "Dreams are born in your heart and in your mind, only there can they ever die." - Art Berg

Fuelm@n

'tis a shame they're a chargin' fer stuff nowadays.

Philo

Greetings!

1. CleanSweep - deletes unwanted programs and files from your hard drive, zaps unneeded Internet clutter (cookies, ActiveX Controls, and so on), and backs up unused applications and important system files.

CleanSweep is one that I could not do without! I've had it for years - originally a product by Quarterdeck, now Symantec.

I don't think you can get it as a separate program anymore; Symantec now bundles it with its other junk.

2. Here's another vote for Proxomitron! Does more than webwasher - without the heavy drain on resources. It took me a while to learn how to do my own little filters but the standard set will get you going fast.

3. Yeah for DriveImage. I back up my office machines with DriveImage. Saved my butt when hard drives decided to give up the ghost (no pun intended).

Janusz
    Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.

1by1 mp3 player. No frills, it weighs in at 34kb yet has a superb sound enhancing feature.

Many of the programs mentioned are great. ghost, ws_ftp, winzip are among my favorites.
    I use panorama for my wallpaper shuffling. I also use a little utility called wbc2jpg to grab webshot images. I dislike webshots software but often like the images on their site.
    wbc2jpg lets me extract them ;-)
    just do a web search for wbc2jpg I'm sure you'll turn it up.

PooterMan,

Thanks for the info on "Wbc2jpg", I've always wanted a tool that do that with Webshot photos.

Turns out that Webshots brought legal charges against the makers of "Wbc2jpg". SERVICE SUSPENDED TO AVOID LEGAL ANNOYANCES

You can still download WBC2JPG v2.45 .

glad to help. I've found quite a few of the items people have mentioned usefull.
    Another one I like is caser . As I'm sure anyone who runs an ftp site can attest to, file naming can be a pain. caser will convert all filenames to upper or lower case, and can recursively hit all directories.

Happy Trails
    PooterMan

Thread Information