What "little" program could you simply not do without? - Page 2
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What "little" program could you simply not do without?

Webshark,

Drive Image makes a complete image of the HD and compresses it. You can select low, med, or high. It doesn't compress enough to fit on a zip disk though. It will span CD's if you have a burner. I just save the image file to another partition on my hard drive and also burn a basic image to CD with drivers, browser, ZA and a few other basic things installed.

My basic image is about 495 MB and my most recent (just of my C: drive) is 650 MB, using high compression.

It will also copy the entire contents of your drive to another HD if you ever upgrade.
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?

Thanks for the info mawil.

MiseryQ, I've never heard of that program, what's it do? I'm guessing it does something with proxies; it sounds interesting.

It's a very strong, configurabled ad-blocker... Ad-subract licenses it's "code" from Proxomitrons developers... which is strange since Proxomitron is freeware ...
    Do'nt take a Shock Rifle to a Flak Cannon fight...

I've only got to look at my quick-launch toolbar to answer this one.

Proxomitron - wouldn't be without it. I've configured dozens of new filters for ad-blocking and altering webpage HTML. For instance, I can't see the large blue banner at the top of this page....

Download Mage takes care of all my downloads in the background - best there is.

Windows Commander which has so many features I can't list them all - yes I can! It's a dual-pane file manager which doesn't use the Explorer interface, so you can look inside Windows folders like Cookies and Temporary Internet Files and see what Windows doesn't want you to see. It has an excellent FTP client with drag 'n drop & parallel upload/download, superb search and multi-file rename, DOS command line, views RAR, ACE, ZIP files in folder view with drag 'n drop.... and lots more (I should negotiate commision terms!)

Mail Inspector is a free mail viewer which lets you view a list of emails sitting on your mail server(s) and delete all the rubbish before it hits your inbox, with email view and compose/send if you can't be bothered to launch your mail client. Help/support is a bit sparse, but if you can configure Outlook Express you'll find MI no problem at all.

For debugging I use Regmon and Filemon from http://www.sysinternals.com/ to selectively track all registry and file accesses. Don't need to use them all that often, thank Gates, but when I do they are absolutely indispensible.

Oh - and not exactly "little" programs, but neither would I be without Norton DiskDoctor and SpeedDisk.
    Last edited by rambler; March 2nd, 2003 at 05:34 AM.
    Anyone can make a mistake - to make a really good job of it use a computer.

MailWasher. View, blacklist, bounce, delete or mark your e-mails for download. Good anti spam utility.

from

here

Free at the moment but not for long. Grab it now.
    Last edited by Mahmud603; March 2nd, 2003 at 01:55 PM.
    2 Seagate Barrucuda 7200.10 400GB, 2 Lite-On LH-20A 1L-06 LS DVD Burners, Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel, Corsair 4GB PC2-8500 DDR2 DIMM, Turbo Cool Power 1KW-SR. EVGA AR-8800GTS Graphics, Mitsumi Floppy, ThermalTake VA 8003 BWS, ViewSonic VE710b Monitor, Windows Vista Ultimate, D-Link DSL-G624T Router

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.31 from
    Here

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It has the options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping. It works on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, .NET, Office 97, and Office XP.
    Last edited by Mahmud603; March 2nd, 2003 at 03:03 PM.
    2 Seagate Barrucuda 7200.10 400GB, 2 Lite-On LH-20A 1L-06 LS DVD Burners, Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel, Corsair 4GB PC2-8500 DDR2 DIMM, Turbo Cool Power 1KW-SR. EVGA AR-8800GTS Graphics, Mitsumi Floppy, ThermalTake VA 8003 BWS, ViewSonic VE710b Monitor, Windows Vista Ultimate, D-Link DSL-G624T Router

Aida32 the worldwide system info tool.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Thumbs up

2xExplorer beats PowerDesk and Windows Explorer IMHO.

Belarc Adviser, WinMe defrag and Utlimate Zip (all mentioned earlier) are all great tools, too!

All the ones I've mentioned are freeware.
    Philo

Running: (1) Windows 7 Home Premium (Dell Studio 540)
    and (2) Windows XP Home SP3 (Dell Optiplex 330)

Just have to include Partition Magic 8 in this rundown. Gave it one h*ll of a workout a few days ago. i.e.: 2-40GB HDD's,each with 4 partitions. Drive #2 has over 20GB of mp3's spread among 3 of the partitions. decided to add partition to each drive to get under the 8Gig limit for better cluster management. Told Partition Magic what i wanted and spread unused space among drives. A total of 20 operations began from DOS. Took about 30Min. for the whole shootin' match to finish and it went thru' without glitch one!!

Of course i had it all backed up with Drive Image first tho'...
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

Better than InfranView for graphics is Paint Shop Pro V4 . It's a non-expiring evaluation version. Has a lot more features than InfranView.

Bill
    If your problem was solved don't leave us hanging - POST BACK!!

I would not be without Goback, it gets me out of trouble so often.
    Diskeeperlite is also very useful.
    Thanks for a first class forum.
    Jepo

MY Fav FREE Prog is Purge IE

Purge IE gets my vote ,, free for 30 days

Purge IE gets rid of all the Cookies, Cache ,and History , all in one easy button push

PURGE IE

PurgeIE is marketed as Shareware. This means that you are free to try PurgeIE prior to registration. You are allowed to test this software for fifteen (15) days in its Fully-functional mode. These days need not be contiguous. Once the Trial Period expires, the program can still execute in Preview mode for evaluation purposes. In Preview mode no actual deletes are performed. The program must then be registered to regain its Fully-functional mode.

---------------

My second Fav would be Drive Image 2002 ( not really free)

Its saved my @ss , more times than not

Its amazing

BTW ,, GREAT THREAD

JP

Originally posted by Mahmud603
    MailWasher. View, blacklist, bounce, delete or mark your e-mails for download. Good anti spam utility.

from

here

Free at the moment but not for long. Grab it now.
    Side Note: I was an original contributor to Nick Bolton and his Mailwasher. Went through a lot of builds and problems and he's finally got it working good. Because of my initial contribution I get a free copy of Mailwasher Pro and free lifetime upgrades.

I've d/l and installed it (MW Pro that is) and it seems real nice...course this is only the first day.

Also, Mailwasher as it stands now will always be free, it's just not going to be developed any further.
    Philo

Running: (1) Windows 7 Home Premium (Dell Studio 540)
    and (2) Windows XP Home SP3 (Dell Optiplex 330)

g.h.o.s.t.
    diskkeeper
    trillian
    win amp
    tiny

but most importantly
    ghost

Fuelm@n
    what was your mod to MDFloder?
    e-mail me at:
    stan...

ke4pkb@juno.com