VMWare10 Network Adapter (Bridge or NAT)

Thread: VMWare10 Network Adapter (Bridge or NAT)

VMWare10 Network Adapter (Bridge or NAT)

As for Performance and Security, is it better to go with NAT or Bridge? I understand that NAT share and go through the HOST while Bridge acts as if it is on another network. I would think that Bridge would perform better since it does not have to go through another layer (HOST) before it reaches the internet. Security?
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

It depends on what you are doing. If you need the VM to appear like another host on your network, then you'd use bridge. Ex. You want to do file shares from the VM to another physical workstation.

If you just need to have the VMs on the host, then NAT is fine. Your host basically acts like a router for the VMs. Ex. you share files/folders only between VMs and not the rest of the network.

Performance difference would be minimal. You still need to go through the host for either. VM security would probably be better with NAT, assuming your host is secure (AV, firewall, etc). Again, that's assuming your don't need the VMs to act like a workstation on your network.

I have been out due to a physical injury. Thanks Midknyte for your reply.

NP. Hope you're doing ok.

Hi MidKnyte, thanks for asking. Facet Joints locked on Valentine and I could not sit or walk. Wife was not happy but she took care of me.

Anyway, back to the topic, I use the VM to do my internet browsing. This way if any malware or anything gets through the browser, it will install on the guest. I just have to rollback to the last snapshot. Either NAT or Bridge would do the job for this but was trying to understand more on how the internet works for both. Thanks again.

Thread Information