Excel Not Working Fix? Or Reinstall?

Thread: Excel Not Working Fix? Or Reinstall?

Excel Not Working Fix? Or Reinstall?

So I finally set aside a whole day to do my freaking taxes and sure enough Microsoft Excel is NOT working.

Whenever I open an Excel document Excel Always closes, sometimes within a matter or seconds. Sometimes within 5 minutes. The point is it crashes.

I tried to open the control panel to repair it but without success.

I'm using an old old old version of Office I believe it's 2006. I use Word on a daily basis without problems.

How can I fix Excel?

Can I download a trial copy of Excel? I only need it for 24 hours!

Whatever recommendations you make please keep in mind I do NOT want it to interfere with Word since it's working fine.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks.

The correct version number for Excel would help us. It is either 2003, 2007, 2010, or 2013.

There was a Microsoft Update in the last few months that caused trouble with Excel.

Links to investigate:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...2C+then+closes

I'm probably jinxing by writing this but it SEEMS to be fixed. Your link recommended opening an Excel fix already within the Excel program.

I suspect MOST of my old Excel files are corrupted. Even files from different drives, as I get an error message when I try and open them. I got this same message before.

As I said, as long as I can create a new file just for today I'm fine.

Thanks.

What error message are you getting when you try to open old Excel files? Can you open them and re-save them using a different name? The problem update I mentioned was capapble of corrupting Excel files in various ways.

Alright, now I'm jinxing it by trying to open up those old files.

Before the file opens a pop up window appears saying, "Excel cannot calculate formulas" and something about "circular reference." My options are "OK, Cancel, Help."

Whichever one I choose I get the same result. After 5 seconds or 5 minutes Excel shuts down.

I did try before this post to open and save as a new file but with the same results. The new file had the exact same problem. Yes, I tried this on multiple files from multiple drives.

Can you still create and save new Excel files OK? If so, create a small sample file, zip it, and upload it here.

Do you still have the Microsoft Officve install media you used originally to install Office?

I wonder if his default template is fubar?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thread Information