USB and Win98

Thread: USB and Win98

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back

USB and Win98

I keep reading threads in which someone answering says USB isn't supported as well in 98FE as other O/S's.

So tell me this, why would a computer company(ACER) make a machine where virtually every device used is through a USB connection?

Well, aside from my comments on ACER... <grin>

First - they may expect you to have 98SE or higher by now.

Also - remember that USB is supported in 98FE, it just isn't always reliable. I had a gateway with 98FE on it for years, and the USB worked beautifully on it. Some systems just don't do as well with it. If there are problems, then you should look into upgrading to 98SE or higher.

As far as your question is concerned, it's either because ACER was hoping you'd have to come back very soon to buy 98SE from them, or they may have thought that it would work fine. The later versions of 95 has USB support, so most computers just came with USB after that...

~evan
    ------------------------------------------------
    - Yes, fdisk is a valid form of virus removal

- I drive too fast to worry about cholesterol
    ------------------------------------------------

Thanks EShows, for the clarification.

I should tell you also, this isn't my computer. My computer is self built with help from VDr's.

The computer in question seems to run fine with those ports and 98FE. I'm not sure if client would be willing to upgrade and if she did, I'd have to up her 32mb memory. Might be too cost effective for her. It's an Acer Aspire w/333mhz.

A lot of the problems was not so much the OS as it was the chipset. If the chipset was OK, things worked as they should, that is why via has the usbfilter drivers. Yes they had to rewrite the drivers so things would work right, but there were a couple chipsets that some motherboard manufactors used that just plain would not work. But all the threads that those problems were fought are long gone since the upgrade.

Train is right, the big problem was the VIA chipsets. They sucked big time. USB CD burners would not work at all which was my problem, (finally solved thru the helpful folks at this site - ). I did the upgrade but it was still touchy feely for some time. Seems to have found its groove for whatever reason. VIA did provide updated drivers, 4 I believe, but once bitten, twice shy as they say. I would not buy any MBd that has VIA anything on it. Just my feeling. They had their chance and blew it, big time. JC
    A Smith & Wesson beats four Aces.
    A Glock beats a full house.

I have had loads of problems with USB on my Dell with Win 98 FE.

These have mainly been resolved by the good folk on Vr Doctor.

I had difficukties with Broadband due to incompatability of Zycon modem supplied now replaced by copperjet 800.

Had problems with interference between CDRW and USB modem.

Am looking for a digi camera which will work ok with FE...Fuji say not one of theirs will work ! Can't be so...any suggestions welcome.

The only solution to probs is to keep watching these threads !
    best wishes.
    johno

photolady--I run two USB1 devices using Win98FE. (a cable modem and a scanner) No problems. ( And the PC's motherboard comes from ACER!!)
    However before you buy a USB device, look at the box (or call technical service) and see what the OS requirements are. That should tell you if Win98SE is required.
    Indeed, the two main differences between 98FE and 98SE are USB performance and Networking Connectivity.
    And soon everything will be USB2. I have no idea if Win98FE can run this--even with the required new card.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thanks for all the input. Question answered.

Jim, since this is not my computer, mine runs xp he(pro soon).., I won't be buying anything for this computer except more ram (as owner requested). Also, I know about checking boxed equipment/softare for requirements.....but thanks anyway.

photolady--Glad you got the answer. Now if I only had understood the question.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thread Information