Change to multiple Session writing to CD/R?

Thread: Change to multiple Session writing to CD/R?

Change to multiple Session writing to CD/R?

Hi,

I am led to believe that in a version of Windows 98 - I could continually write to 'unwritten' tracks on a CD/R in Windows 98...and that this functionality seems to have been removed by Microsoft on subsequent versions of Windows - but more importantly READ all the different sessions through volumes. Is this correct?

As we have Nero writing software - and we can write multiple sessions to a CD/R - but now we cannot read any but the latest?

I'm not sure if I get your question right....but you have to distinquish between "close session" and "close disc".

Writing with the close session option will let you add additional files to the disc at a later time...and all files written to the disc can be read...including files written in earlier sessions.

The close disc option, on the other hand, will finalize the session AND the disc. After that you CAN add more files to the disc (not recommended) but the files already there will be "dicarded" - sorta overwritten.

BTW: this has nothing to do with any version of Windows.
    Karl, Denmark
    ---------
    "..and may The Force be with you - too..."

Originally posted by kallikru

BTW: this has nothing to do with any version of Windows.
    Thanks for all the info...on your last bit of info though - am I wrong in saying that in XP the built in fuctionality where you can 'send files to' a cd writer only works on a write once and once only basis to a CD/R is incorrect, and I am doing something wrong? because whenver I try to write more data to a CD/R that has small data saved on it, XP rejects the CD.

The "send files to CD-R" function sounds like MS' version of packet writing and most likely works in the same way: You format a disc and leave it in the drive. Using a file handling tool like Win Explorer you can then drag files (or "send" as here..) to the disc until it is filled - or you don't want any more files on it...you then simply close the disc. Filling up the disc can last hours, days or weeks - as long as you choose. Once you've closed the disc you can reopen it - just as any ordinary writing session, provided you specified that this option should be available when you last closed the disc/session

As with other packet writing programs you can only use any CD-R disc once and nothing can be erased. CD-RWs, on the other hand, may be erase and re-writen...as usual...and in multiple sessions - provided you specify so.

So it all depends on how you close the current session/disc - with which options.
    Karl, Denmark
    ---------
    "..and may The Force be with you - too..."

Before WinXP, there were no versions of Windows that included the ability to write CD's of any type. That functionality had to be added by 3rd-party software.

Adaptec/Roxio's DirectCD normally added a shortcut to the Send To menu that would then allow the user to right-click on a file (or group of files) and select Send To-->DirectCD (X:) where X was the drive letter of the recorder. Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

I don't remember if the other packet-writing programs like InCD or abCD added a similar shortcut. I quit using packet-writing quite some time ago.

Both Adaptec/Roxio and Nero -- at least on Win98 -- installed code that would allow you to select any of the sessions of a multi-session CD. Adaptec's is called Session Selector, Nero's Multi-Mounter. I don't think either is installed onto NT-based flavors of Windows. Unless you intentionally orphan a session, most mastering software will automatically link the new session to the last session, keeping all of the data visible (the exception, of course, would be replacing files with subsequent revised versions using the same filename -- only the last is available).

Thread Information