microsoft office installing issue

Thread: microsoft office installing issue

microsoft office installing issue

I've got a computer at work that had microsoft office premium installed and a user was trying to open a word document and it kept asking for the installation cd. It shouldn't have been asking for it but i put it in anyway and it still would not accept it as a valid installation disk.
    well i was getting sick of it, so i tried to uninstall office totally and it seemed like a lot of the office files stayed (in the program files directory). Then i re-installed office setting it to "run all from my computer". after that everything worked perfectly.
    BUT, then when i logged on as another user (who also had admin rights) and tried to do anything, it kept saying it needed the cd to install whatever program was needed.

i thought i've read about this occuring to other people but i can't seem to find it again when i search anywhere.

does anyone seem to know what's causing the computer to want to install office for every user?

thanks
    "i think i'm dumb.....or maybe just happy"

You don't say which version of Office, but see if M$KB 265194 can help you at all
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

oh sorry....i'm always forgetting to mention something!
    it was office 9 (2000)

and that article i think is the exact thing i think i remembmer reading! thanks!....of course i couldn't find it again when i needed it.....

i'll try that stuff now to see if it works
    thanks!

Bad news, that article didn't help. My registry already had the keys/dwords that it said might be missing.

plus the link to the resource kit was broken anyway, and after searching microsoft's maze of webpages, i still couldn't find it.

i even tried step two on that article and it didnt' fix anything (which i didn't think it would anyway since it doesn't seem to be the same problem)

But that article kinda sounds like it's the same user that has to keep installing office. My situation is, once it is installed, it is fine for that user. but when a NEW user logs on, then they have to install office also.

maybe it would just be easier to just wipe the computer clean and reinstall everything??? i know it's like killing a fly with a sledge hammer....but at least the fly would be dead...
    and office would might work right!

Have you tried attempting this logged on as administrator?
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

ya...i installed it as the administrator.....and then am trying to use it with an account that has administrator rights....

i'm losing hope......i can't find anything to help me......
    i think i'll just wipe the computer clean....it think it needs it anyway.....that PC always kinda has been glitchy.....

thanks

Thread Information