[RESOLVED] Removing ASK from desktop

Thread: [RESOLVED] Removing ASK from desktop

Resolved [RESOLVED] Removing ASK from desktop

I had to re install Win XP recently and upgraded to IE8 much against my better judgement. Sure enough it is a POS with all sorts of crappola taking up 1/5th of the screen. I tried to eliminate ASK search and even though it is supposedly disabled it still comes back like a bad smell. Why do these programmers insist on dumping this nonsense all over the screen. Surely to god everyone in the galaxy would want this wonderful junk I have produced. Lots of other junk to remove but that will do for starters. JC
    A Smith & Wesson beats four Aces.
    A Glock beats a full house.

Johnny Canuck--Have you tried to uninstall ASK? If not go to Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs and see if it is there.
    Some more ideas here if you cannot uninstall,
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=228330
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Welshjim: Thanx for reply. I read the posts on the site you referred to and obviously a lot of others are also having trouble dumping the PITA. I did several things and ASK was indicated as being diabled. Yeah, right. Still in my face so I did what I should have done in the early stages, I deleted IE8 and am back to my old IE6. IE7, IE8 and soon-to-be IE9 all dump enough crappola to take up almost 1/5th of the screen with totally unwanted spam. IE6 works for me and if some sites say they no longer support IE6, well so far that seems to be their problem, not mine. So be it. I do my online secure banking, read several newspapers, send and receive emails on several different sites, listen to voice mails and all is well it seems. I did run HiJackThis while still on IE8 and ASK or any other FOX crap did not show up. By the way, October is just around the corner and that means Balloon FIESTA !!! Whoopee. Enjoy and watch ouit for falling bits/pieces. JC

Watch the Sun Java update, need to uncheck the ASK garbage or it will get installed.

A lot of free programs/utilities try to install toolbars now.. Ccleaner, Recuva just to name two more popular ones.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks to all for your interest. I will close this post as resolved although VirtualDr needs another closeout symbol, maybe a toilet with seat up. Train, send back a few ounces ot that virtual JD tank car full of bourbon. JC

Keep dreaming!

Thread Information