dvd / cd-rw and roxio

Thread: dvd / cd-rw and roxio

Question dvd / cd-rw and roxio

Hi, I just received a laptop. It has a dvd / cd-rw but doesn't. The only software I can find on it is something called power dvd. If I put a cd-rw into the drive I can copy files onto it with out any problems, delete and reformat. My problem is if I then take the cd-rw and put it into my desktop pc it treats the cd as a cd-r not a cd-rw. If I format the cd the laptop will not read it, it needs the direct cd driver. Ok so now my question is. I have roxio ez creator 5 and I would like to install that on my laptop, but will that in any way mess up the way the dvd/cd-rw is currently set?
    parts are parts. Doesn't matter what you get as long as you get it.

it shouldn't...are you running XP home on your laptop?? If you are, you can disable XP's built-in burning utility by right-clicking on the cdrw drive, go to Properties, and click on the Recording tab. From there, you can uncheck the burning utility.

Did your laptop come with any OEM versions of ECDC?? If it has a combo dvd/cdrw, it should at least come with the basic version of ECDC.
    "What I really need is a woman who loves me for my money but doesn't understand math."

Thank You

Thanks for your help. Yes I have home edition of XP and I found everything that you told me. All is working just great. Thank You again
    parts are parts. Doesn't matter what you get as long as you get it.

I suggest that you upgrade to 5.1. XP and Roxio CD Creator (versions before 5.1) don't play well together.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;310628

Roxio also has a free UDF Reader download that will allow the laptop to read formatted cdrws at the bottom of the following page:
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxi...pdatesv4.jhtml
    It's included in their Easy CD software, so if you install the full program you don't need the UDF reader.

Thread Information