SU0013 on Win98 Install

Thread: SU0013 on Win98 Install

Hybrid View

SU0013 on Win98 Install

I have a machine with win95 and a partitioned hard drive (2 partitions each about 50%). I wanted to intall win95 on it. I formatted the drive and installed 98 - no problem. But I discovered that only half of the hard drive was recognized (the first partition, I assume - there were two). Since the whole drive is only 3.6 GB I wanted to be able to access the whole thing - not just one half.

It was suggested that I use FDISK to remove the second partition. I did but the re-install still did not see the whole drive. It was then suggested that I use a program called PARTITION RESIZER to re-partition the whole drive. That was done.

However, now I cannot install win98 at all. Either the install hangs in the "Preparing to run Win 98 Setup" or I get the "su0013" error. Searching the net I see that the use of a third-party partitioning software (such as EZ Driver or Disk Manager) causes this problem. Could Partition Resizer also cause this problem>

The suggested work-around I keep seeing says to install from the \win98\ directory on my win98 CD rather than my win98 boot disk. This does not work either.

Additionally, I can still see the two partitions through DOS. The C partition has COMMAND.COM and what looks like the beginning of WIN98 files on it; the D partition is labeled MS-RAMDRIVE and has COMMAND.COM, EDIT.COM, FORMAT.COM, etc on it.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with this install?

Your post is a little unclear - but here goes:

It look like you are using and OEM copy of Windows98 to install from. If an OEM copy of 98 detects a previous version of Windows on the target machine (NOT just the hard disk or partition in quetsion) it will not allow you to install the software.

First - make sure your BIOS is recognising the Hard Disk Drive properly (How old is the PC??) - Might be worth flashing if you can find an upgrade.

Also, some partition utilities and disk manager write themselves into the boot sector of the hard disk drive. You need to remove any partition software or disk manager tools you have installed or used.

Next, remove all partitions from the drive using FDISK.

Restart the machine and boot from your setup disk or the Windows98 CD using F8 to bypass its startup -> go to the command prompt.

Run FDISK again and say YES to large drive support (in effect FAT32 filetable). Exit FDISK and reboot as above. Format the C: drive normally without making it a system disk.

Reboot and start 98 setup from the CD. This ought to work.

Nelson

Nix is offline Aka: Nix*, NNiixx, Nix23
    As Nelson say it is unclear at what state your drive is at ?

Two empty partitions C: and D: ?

Are they formatted ?

Anything installed on either ?

If you want to start from scratch.

1. FDISK and delete all logical drives, all extended partitions, all primary partitions.

2. Reboot with Win98 boot disk. FDISK answerig Y to large disk supportand allocate 50% as primary partition C: making it active.

3. Use remaining space for Extended partition and allocate all space to logical drive D:

4. Format C:

5. Format D:

6. Run setup from the WIN98 cd.

7. Install Vid Card drivers and reboot.

8. Install Sound Card drivers and reboot.

9. Install any other drivers as appropriate, eg modem etc.

Finally you mentioned that you want to install Win95 but then spoke about Win98 ????

I would strongly suggest that you copy your win98 CD to your HD and run the install from there. It is much faster and when it is trying to find and load all your drivers you don't need to be swappping out CD's w/ the 98 one. Also very handy down the road as well since you don't need to have it on hand all the time.

Andrew

thank you ... thank you ... thank you, nelson.

i followed your advice and got win98 installed (sorry about the typo - i was installing 98 not 95 though the machine did previously have 95 on it before i formatted the drive).

it must have been the full shut-downs between the steps that did it. i was beginning to think that i would have to buy a new drive. thanks for the savings.

also, thanks to you others that replied before i could post this message.

terry

ps> i love this forum. it's been some time since i used it but it's always comforting to know it and all you knowledgeable guys are there in case i need you.

Wink

No probs.....

Good luck with Windows98 - you'll need it!

Nelson

Thread Information