Reconnect to network share

Thread: Reconnect to network share

Question Reconnect to network share

I recently changed a user from a Workgroup member to a Domain member. Now, when the user trys to reconnect to a share on another workstation he is prompted for a password. I understand Windows 2000 by default will try to use his domain credentials. I disconnected the user from the workstation share and then reconnected him..but...I selected the 'logon as a different user' option and entered the correct userid and password for the share. Windows 2000 connected the user, but, when the users logs off and logs on again he is prompted for a password again. The domain credentials and the workstaion credentials are different. Windows 2000 does not cache the userid and password for the workstation share...as I thought it should. I am able to get the correct behavior with Windows NT and XP. What am I missing with Windows 2000? Any help is appreciated...

Reconnect to Share....

Hi Batton,
    Make sure that the workstation that you are trying to connect to is apart of the domain also. Have you tried mapping a drive to the share and selecting reconnect at logon so that the computer will automatically connect to it and it should use the same credentials. If that doesn't work, try using a logon script to map a drive to the share and you can also add the credentials to the logon script but I warn you, this can be seen as a security risk.
    Sorry if this doesn't help but thought I would try and throw a few suggestions at you.
    Cheers
    Ian
    If you have a computer problem -try restarting the computer. If you have tried that ,then try restarting the computer again. Restarting the computer fixes everything. (Joking)

Cool Reconnect to network share

PoisonAngel -

I would rather not make the workstation a part of the domain. I have already tried the reconnect at logon, hoping Windows 2000 would reconnect using the same credentials. This has not worked. Using reconnect at logon works just fine with Windows XP. I may try using scripts but I would rather not...but...if that is what will work I'll have to try it.

Although they're two different login credentials, is the login name the same? If so, you may want to try explicitly using "\\REMOTEWORKSTATIONNAME\Username" when reconnecting as a different user, where REMOTEWORKSTATIONNAME is the name assigned to the PC you're trying to connect to.

Just a shot in the dark...

KV

Talking Reconnect to network share

kv....

I had that same thought last night as I was watching the 'Simpsons'....I went in to work and had the user do what you suggested and it appears to work. I have done this before on Windows 2000 and for the life of me I can't figure out why I forgot that!!! Wow...don't get old kv....

You can never grow old if you keep watching the Simpsons. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Glad the suggestion worked... It took me a while to figure it out when it happened to me once, and then I was kicking myself for not thinking of it right away...

KV

Thread Information