file protection says "Wrong CD" but it's the right CD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: file protection says "Wrong CD" but it's the right CD

Hybrid View

file protection says "Wrong CD" but it's the right CD

When I boot up, a window named "Windows File Protection" pops up, saying "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows 2000 Professional CD now." I insert the CD, click on Retry, and another window pops up saying it's the wrong CD. I go thru this several times, always the same result.

It is definitely the right CD, the same one I loaded W2000pro from 2 months ago.

I can explore the CD, so the cdrom seems to be working.

I just recently was infected with CodeRed. Since then I have installed SP2 and a bunch of critical updates, uninstalled IIS, uninstalled indexing, installed and uninstalled ZoneAlarm, changed a security template, and copied some device drivers over to another drive. Other than that it's been business as usual, except that when I installed ZoneAlarm, boot up took forever (6 minutes CPU time for Winlogon), so I uninstalled it and now I'm back to the usual boot up speed.

Is any of this related to this incorrect "Wrong CD" message? Why must files be copied to the DLL cache? I do not even know what a DLL cache is. Please be explicit in any replies, I don't know my way around W2000 very well.

Thanks,

jm

dual boot 98fe, W2000pro
    HP Pavilion 8380
    Pentium II 400, 96 megs
    Last edited by juliemass; August 20th, 2002 at 02:44 AM.

You Could re-apply the service pack, the files on your hard drive are probably newer versions than thoise on the CD.

I can't seem to reapply SP2. When I download and then run the SP2 Express Installation, I get a "cannot read memory in lsass.exe" error. At this point if I click OK I get a "Windows is shutting down soon" message, if I click debug, the installation hangs. I didn't even try the full 100 meg download of SP2 because, as i understand it, it includes all the files needed for installation on Windows 2000 Server and Advanced Server, and I am not running a server.

Can I reinstall my 2000 cd (which does not have SP2) as an update over the 2000SP2 now on my system, and NOT lose any other programs on that drive? I have read in this forum that if I boot with the cd and choose repair, SP2 will be saved, but it appears the problem is with dll cache from SP2, so I really don't want SP2 to be saved.

I absolutely do not want to do a format/reinstall. I cannot afford to lose any of my programs on that drive.

Thanks,

jm
    Last edited by juliemass; August 20th, 2002 at 03:15 PM.

When you first power up, down at the bottom of the screen it says something about F8. Press F8 then and you'll get a menu for safe mode, last good configuration (or similar), etc. Try the last good config option. I think this is similar to scanreg/restore in 98.

Hi DVOM! Did the Last Good Configuration from F8, the same DLL cache error still pops up.

I downloaded the entire 100meg SP2 and tried to install it but I still got the lsass.exe memory error, resulting in a shutdown.

So I cannot reinstall SP2.

Can I install my original (without SP2) 2000 cd over the existing 2000SP2 (wiping out SP2) without losing all my other programs on that drive? Does this seem like the right thing to attempt to do?

Any other ideas?

jm

I just tried to run sfc /scannow, but it won't run. "The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable]."

I'm completely lost now.

Quebec, Canada, a lovely place beside a 20 acre pond.
    Right click my computer and choose manage. When the computer management window comes up, click on services. Go down the list, and make sure Remote Procedure Call is started. You can right click the service and start it. Also make sure Server is started. Then try the procedure again. When you receive a message like the one you received, it usually points toward a service that needs to be started in order to complete the task.
    It would be a great pleasure to know I have helped you, and that the fix worked and might help others. You might help me by posting which linux distro, version, and desktop manager you use. Have a most excellent day, dude/ette.

This link shows a difference of opinion on what would result from doing an upgrade install of 2000 over 2000SP2. Can anyone chime in on their experience with this?

jm

Hi downtime!

Under Computer Management/Services and Applications/Services, both RPC and Server are already "started" and "automatic" . I started RPC Locator for the heck of it. Anyhow sfc /scannow still says the RPC server is unavailable.

Quebec, Canada, a lovely place beside a 20 acre pond.
    I think you will have to try reinstalling over. I have done it, on a client's machine, and only lost sp2. It sounds like the method in the link you provided worked well. Backup before you try anything. It sounds like files were changed while you were serving, that's a hard call though. My only similar experience involved replacing the shell, I think this goes deeper. I am wondering if your product key was changed, and that's why you're getting the message about the wrong cd.
    Have a look at this thread and see if the product key is the one you installed with.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...y&pagenumber=2
    Just a wild shot, though.
    It would be a great pleasure to know I have helped you, and that the fix worked and might help others. You might help me by posting which linux distro, version, and desktop manager you use. Have a most excellent day, dude/ette.

arot

Hi Julie,
    Go to MS Knowledge Base and check out Q296822 in which they advise you to do an "in-place upgrade" to get rid of SP2 after which you can reinstall it.

Anytime you see advice from newgrl, you can be pretty sure it's accurate.

Julie,

To go back to your original post - I understand that in the majority of cases, the only way to be sure of removing a code red infection is to repartition and reformat. You may have to bite the bullet
    Howard Marsh
    HWM Consulting Pty Ltd
    Harbour City Computers
    QLD, Australia.

Did we help?

Please post back and let us know the results.

I shut down the computer for about 4 hours, booted up, and the problem window did not pop up. I was halfway through typing this victory post when I decided to run sfc. I typed sfc /scannow directly from run, without first typing cmd. The sfc window appeared and then disappeared in a flash, then immediately the dllcache error window popped up and the "wrong cd" error reappeared. So there is no victory yet, I'm back where I started, except when I now run cmd sfc /scannow, I get no "RPC server unavailable" message, but nothing happens with the sfc, I just get another line of D:> with a blinking cursor. sfc isn't working.

downtime - nice idea, but the product key on the cd is exactly the same is the key in $winnt$

amuk - nice grab with Q296822. I searched KB and didn't find that.

Gerdog - sounds good, I was a bit worried since the member profile says newgrl's last post was almost a year ago and since there was a definite difference of opinion in that thread.

HWMC - Thanks for the input, I hope I don't have to bite that bullet.

So, with downtime's first-hand experience, amuk's KB reference, and Gerdog's newgrl endorsement, I think I'll go the route of an in-place "upgrade" from SP2 to original 2000, then reinstall SP2.

I'll let you know what happens,

jm

Bad news I'm afraid.

I did the update/install of 2000 over SP2. On the final boot up the same old DLLcache - wrong CD message popped up. I then installed SP2, at the very end of the install, right after i clicked restart, a quick message popped up that said something like "security warning, some of the files are not recognized, reverting to older files." It disappeared very fast but I think that was the gist of it. When the computer restarted, the same old DLLcache - wrong CD message popped up again.

I ran Belarc, it says 2000SP2. I wonder if it is the same old SP2 from before the reinstall?

Since the error message window says "Windows File Protection" in the title bar, can I disable this file protection for the time being? How can I disable Windows File Protection?

Can't i just somehow copy dllcache from the 101 meg SP2.exe self-extracting cab file sitting on my desktop, and put it wherever it belongs?

SP2 is now in add/remove programs, if that helps anything.

Is it time to throw in the towel and do a repartition/reformat, like HWMC said is required for most CodeRed infections? I have 98 on C:, I don't have to repartition that drive do I? Just D:? I ran a couple of CodeRed fix tools and I've done a ton of scans and CodeRed was not detected.

The good news is that the in-place 2000 update worked fine, all programs were unaffected and I only had to reinstall an audio driver.

jm

Thread Information